• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is silence pointless?

Lanliss

Explorer
Well, the silence area would be the ambush point, so, your only warning would be everything suddenly going quiet. Which should be pretty disorienting.

And of course, thanks to the silence, I have no idea where you are coming from, or how many of you there are. I may try this at some point, possibly against the players.

Zaran

Adventurer
You mentioned no house rules but I think that is a silly limiter. In Hoard of the Dairy Queen there is a field of shriekers that the PCs have to traverse. I allowed the cleric to basically continuously cast silence as a skill challenge to get the horses past the field. Technically it's a house rule but it was a good idea and used out of combat so doesn't have to follow RAW. Plus the player is one of my quiet ones that waits for combat most of the time so when they have an a good idea I try to give them the leeway they deserve.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads