• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Kingdoms of Kalamar worth it?

Jeff Parker

First Post
Just like the subject line asks -

Is the Kalamar setting worth investing the money and time in? I've been playing FR for a long time now, and I have played Greyhawk in the past as well. I like them both for different reasons but prefer Greyhawk.

I'm looking for a slightly more "gritty and realistic" setting, something akin to the Seven Kingdoms in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". Would Kalamar be closer to that than FR or Greyhawk? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff

bolen

First Post
yes, Kingdoms of kalamar is just like you described I am running the coin series and I have been very hapy with all of their products. I would highly recomend it.

Sayburr

First Post
You may get a lot of replies and debating on this subject...

I, for one, love the Kalamar setting. I started DMing in my own world and then moved to Greyhawk later. When FR came out with 2ed I switched but I soon became disillusioned with FR and with D&D so I stopped playing. When 3ed came out I bought the three core books and looked it over. I debated as to whether to start a new D&D game but I just couldn't bring myself to do
it. The GH gazetteer came out and I scooped it up and read over it, happy that D&D would now be "based" in GH. But, I guess over the years even GH seemed stale. Then the Scared Lands books started coming out, but I did not want to play in a cataclysmic world so I resigned myself to just keep on playing Shadowrun. Then Kalamar was released. I looked at it and, even
though it is not a "pretty" book it looked interesting. After reading it I was hooked.

Kalamar is a well thought out world that is human centric. Yes, there are other races present. There is even a kingdom ruled by Hobgoblins. There is information on the expansion of the human race and how they settled in each area and how living in that area created the culture that now exists. There is a real feel of "History" with this setting. As I read though the book,
plot hook after plot hook jumped into my mind. After the first chapter or two I realized Kenzer Co was giving me a wonderful setting and at the same time giving me plenty of room to run it the way I wanted to. It was like my beloved Greyhawk but, Mr. Gygax forgive me, better! The world was not made as characters ventured out from a starting point, it was made by thinking how life would evolve first and then they worried about where to place
characters. To me, Kalamar is a "realistic" setting.

I think you would like it if you tried it. If you are not sure about
spending the cash I would suggest buying "Root of all Evil" first. It will give you a good introduction to one part of the Kalamarian world. There are several chapters in the setting book, each detailing a different area of Tellene and each section presents a different culture and feel.

So far my players and me are enjoying the setting. Better designed than Greyhawk. Not as high fantasy as Forgotten Realms. It is not set in a post cataclysmic environment like the Scared Lands. No "steam punk" aspects like Iron Kingdoms. I have not seen Paradigm's world, so I can't compare to it.

"Realistic and Gritty?" I think it would fit your needs.

Jeff Parker

First Post
Thanks Everyone!

Got some good responses there. I'll definitely have to pick up the book, it sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Now, all I have to do is convince the Realms-lovers in my campaign to make the switch!

Jeff

Mojo

First Post
I'd definately say it is worth the bucks. Well written, carefully developed, and full of campaign ideas, it's one of the best campaign settings out there.

And KODT rocks too...

Psion

Adventurer
My first reaction is to say "no" because in my honest opinion, there are more exciting settings out there.

However, from the sounds of what you are looking for, I must be honest and say it sounds just abuot right.

(And yes, I do have it and have read it.)

Holy Bovine

First Post
I haven't purchased KoK yet but it would be the next setting I would go for.

Why? The human-centric apects (still my favourite race!!!) and the general 'low-magic' feel to it. It is (honestly) very different than any other campaign setting I have seen. it almost seems to me to be a fantasy version of Earth.

I just wish Kenzer Co. had brought out a gazeteer to give a general outline of the setting for $10-$15. it's easier to spend that much a discover that it may not be everything I want than to blow $50-$60 on a fancy hardcover that is opened once.

If your local game store lets you try to have a good long read before making your decision. Otherwise read lots of reviews.

DWARF

First Post
They are coming out with several more source books, like the players guide to Kalamar this spring.

And yes, I love this setting!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Let me chime in with a 'no'.

Their modules are fantastic. Best I've ever seen.

But the Kalamar setting itself is incredibly bland. Well written, but boring. The main campaign book also has virtually zero D&D content.

Remove ads