• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Instrument of the Winds

Wippit Guud

First Post
Quick paraphrase (no book at work), basically make a perform (lute) check at DC 15, and summon an air elemental as per Summon Monster VI.

A) Duration? Is it as if casted at lowest level (11 rounds) or is it while the music is playing?

B) It doesn't say how many times per day. Is this an oversight, or was it decided that since it needs a somewhat obscure skill check (mainly only bards take it), that's it's usable at will? price doesn't figure into that, but no where in item creation does it say how having to make skill checks offsets price.

LokiDR

First Post
For any item that does not list a caster level, you can figure the min for the spell, so 11 rounds. You don't need to keep playing unless it says you need to.

Number of times: infinite :) If it says: you play the instrament, you get the elemental, that is exactly how it works. As a DM, I would nerf this if it got out of hand, but I'm not your DM.

Pricing: I remember a reference to a designer saying a skill use was something like a 30% reduction, but this is my memory and from the 3.0 days. Use at your own risk.

Gilrion

First Post
Check the errata for Magic of Faerun. This particular item has been errata'ed to 1/day. The duration is 11 rounds, since that is the listed caster level.

Remove ads