• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In-game Rituals and Character Development

Most games I have been involved in have been rather light in the character development area and was wondering if anyone has opted to do things or DM's have characters perform in-game that liven up their character or give a more real feel to the game. I am looking for rituals or some aspect that livens up a game to give it a more fleshed out feel, particularly for Paladins, and other Faith based classes, to endure to gain some extra power or ability above and beyond Feats, Skills, Blessings from their superiors, or simple purchases from the local magic shops and bazaars.

cmrscorpio

Explorer
One way that I promote character development, is occasionally when there is down time, I give xp for in-character conversations.

For instance, the PCs are on a week-long voyage on a ship from [Point A] to [Point B]. The captain will invite the PCs into his chamber for a meal, during which the captain asks the PCs a bunch of questions about their backgrounds/beliefs/business/etc. After the encounter, I'll generally give XP for defeating a challenge equal to their level.

If I feel like my players are sufficiently experience at that style of roleplaying, I'll do something like: You've travelled three days of your week-long march from [Point A] to [Point B]. The crackling of your campfire does little to break up the monotony of the chirping frogs and buzzing insects. Boredom begins to set in. What do you do to pass the time and occupy your minds?

Remove ads