• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In-game achievements/badges

Rune

Once A Fool
I prefer "Deeds of Renown (or Infamy)" to "Achievements." If a party were to, say, slay a thousand goblins, tales of that feat are likely to spread throughout the land.

Similarly, if the party rogue manages to pry the gemmed eye from the cursed and well-guarded idol of the Demon-King, that deed is likely to sprout tales, as well.

Does the blackguard cut down an entire village? You'd better believe those tales will spread.

What if the bard moons the Emperor? Oh, yeah, they'll be talking about that one for years!

Nytmare

David Jose
I prefer "Deeds of Renown (or Infamy)" to "Achievements."

Yeah, but those are all things that come about after the fact and emerge from game play. You're not talking about handing the players a list that reads: kill a thousand orcs, steal the gem from the statue, and moon the Emperor. Are you?

Rune

Once A Fool
Yeah, but those are all things that come about after the fact and emerge from game play. You're not talking about handing the players a list that reads: kill a thousand orcs, steal the gem from the statue, and moon the Emperor. Are you?

That's true. And that's my point. It's an organic consequence of the players' decisions, not a list designed to influence them (besides which, my players consistently prove they can come up with better ideas on the spot than I can in a list, anyway!).

It is also significant that these consequences have entirely in-game effects.

Clefton Twain

First Post
I like this conversation. :)

I'm really thinking a purely metagame system that won't affect too many factors--I am not going to give oodles of experience to someone who gets an achievement. And, in fact, I don't expect most players to be of the mindset where they *must* get the achievement.

I think I'm going to make two or three per session and lay them out beforehand with hints. Something like "Here are the achievements for tonight's game. The first one is called 'Catastrophe: Obtain what can't be gotten." And then, let's say, the party will encounter an enemy mage. If someone manages to capture the cat familiar, they get a small XP bonus.

That's a crappy example but, hopefully, you get the point. :)

--CT

Remove ads