• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Familiar Question

IamTheTest

First Post
Can a Dwarf Wiz1/Ftr4 with the feats Practiced Spellcaster and Improved Familiar gain a small Earth Elemental as a familiar?

Rewritten: Does Arcane Caster Level (practiced spellcaster) equate to Spellcaster Level (improved familiar)?

Praeden

Explorer
Since both feats refer to caster level, rather than class level, I would say that your character will count as being level 5 for determining available improved familiars. On the other hand, the PHB familiar table refers to class level, so you'd only be level 1 for determining familiar abilities.

Dross

Explorer
If I remember correctly, Practiced Spellcaster explicitly says that the feat grants the caster level to spells for range, duration, damage, etc, but not spells known or spells per day. No mention is made of other abilities.

I'd say that it would not affect a familiars abilities based (so level 1 wizard familiar abilities only).

IamTheTest

First Post
Unfortunately for me I think that I would tend to agree with Dross. Although I will hold out for a more concrete stance. Thanks for the replies.

Aestolia

First Post
I've been looking through for a topic for a question I have on familiars... I've asked The sage at WotC, like they ever answer real questions...

Anyhow, given what's mentioned in this thread I thought this would be a good place to ask it. First let me lay down some citations:

PHB.P.54 - "As the sorcerer advances in level, his familiar also increases in power."
PHB.P.52 - "Levels of different classes that are entitled to familiars (such as sorcerer and wizard) stack for the purpose of determining any familiar abilities that depend on the master's level."
Pretty much any caster Prestige class - "...gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level... ...You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained."

Based on these the familiar of a level 10 Wizard / 5 (insert caster prestige class) should only have abilities of a 10th level wizard. yes?
Now the twist:

Complete Arcane.P.81
Obtain Familiar
Prerequisites:
Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, arcane caster level 3rd

Benefit: You can obtain a familiar in the same manner as a sorcerer or wizard. As with a sorcerer or wizard, obtaining a familiar takes 24 hours and uses up magic materials worth 100gp.
For the purpose of determining familiar abilities that depend on your arcane caster class level, your levels in all classes that allow you to cast arcane spells stack.

Similarily in the Tome of Magic, the Shadow Familiar feat mentions "Your levels in all classes that allow you to cast mysteries or arcane spells stack."

~~

Note that these descriptions don't refer to caster levels, but class levels. A bard who takes a prestiege class that advance 1 caster level / 2 level, would still use her character level to determine her familiars ablilities (provided they were just bard and prestige class).

So here's the big question.. Do wizards and sorcerers get a crap version of summon familiar, with under powered familiars? or should Summon familiar be worded as Obtain familiar, "your levels in all classes that allow you to cast arcane spells stack."?

I ask also because (yes this actually came up in one of my campains, goddess save me) the Sorcerer/Bard was wondering why their levels didn't stack for familiar abilities...

With obtain familiar they would, with summon familiar they wouldn't.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads