• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm DMing a Vow'd Monk/Forsaker, Help me!!!

Pergentile

Explorer
Those are his defensive capabilities... does he have ANY offense?
Lock him in a Force Cage, kill the rest of the party who will then be pissed at him for being worthless (make sure they just barely lose, so if he had had a character that could do anything offensive, they would have won), then throw him through a gate into a Plane of Infinite Poison Insects. Making a thousand fort saves a round really makes a player wish for death. . .

Dandu

First Post
Not if he's FISTBEARD BEARDFIST, who is actually incapable of failing a fortitude save on a natural 1, and the poison DC is lower than his incredible fort save!

Mistah J

First Post
Reading this updated Forsaker, I see the Signature Weapon class ability requires the character to carry a Masterwork weapon on him in order to gain many of the other class abilities.

VoP prohibits the character from carrying a Masterwork weapon.

That might stop him right there.

akbearfoot

First Post
Without resorting to rediculous stuff... SR 25 is crap for 20th level, so its essentially a giveaway. Any form of invisibility would seem to foil this character. And the things already mentioned, forcecage, Plant Growth, Wall of Thorns, solid fog, Sleet Storm, several Psionic abilities.

Truestrike +Sudden Maximized Energy Drain with empowered rod...Hits on a 2, no save for 9-12 negative levels. Then toss him a magic sword and use a suggestion on him that he attacks the ground at his feet with it. Oops, bye bye 10 class levels, Lol

This characters biggest weakness IMO would be his inability to Freedom of movement. Anything that is Gargantuan and epicish can hit a touch AC of 32 on a 2 and has 50+ grapple modifiers. No freedom of movement at epic levels= dead character. Unless Im missing something, he also has no immunity to fear. Epic things have quite nasty Fear effects, and eventually he'll roll a 1.

As a DM I wouldn't allow this class at all, just because it is clearly busted overpowered. Full Bab, all good saves, best hit dice, +20 untyped bonus to ability scores. The cute epic anti-magic field that somehow doesn't affect his own supernatural powers is cute, and quite impossible.

The last thing I notice is that in the D&D setting this PrC is essentially unplayable in a group PC setting after med levels...Teleport is clearly a 'beneficial spell', so I'd think he would be an unwilling target of it. That would mean he would have to go everywhere by foot or wing...no wind walk, no teleport, no transport via plants, etc.

Dandu

First Post
As a DM I wouldn't allow this class at all, just because it is clearly busted overpowered. Full Bab, all good saves, best hit dice, +20 untyped bonus to ability scores. The cute epic anti-magic field that somehow doesn't affect his own supernatural powers is cute, and quite impossible.
Yeah, it's clearly the work of some munchkin indulging himself in creating this super cool character who's so badass as to take down mages without magic.

Which makes its failure to do so all that more hilarious.

garagos

First Post
Plus didn't the original 3.0 Forsaker class require either Chaotic alignment or Rage class ability? Forsaker always struck me as primarily a barbarian PrC and therefore would be impossible for a monk to use unless it was a fallen monk I guess.

Tharkon

First Post
You shouldn't be worried about if he is to powerful for your monsters though in this case. You can always fix that, you should make sure he is not outshining the other players, as long as that is not the case, just throw something heavy on them.

First flaw I spotted was that after the first level of Forsaker he is not allowed to progress any further in Monk anymore. And don't forget as Mistah J pointed out the incompatibility between Vow of Poverty and the Forsaker's Signature Weapons ability. Furthermore since it's an Exalted feat if he commits any evil act he loses Vow of Poverty completely as well until he receives an atonement (which would cause him to lose his Forsaker abilities). In addition Vow of Poverty as well as Fast Healing are suppressed in any anti-magic field besides that of the Forsaker himself, SR does not apply.

Now what can we throw at him, let's start simple, before he reaches the point where he does need to sleep, eat, drink or sleep, have him face troubles with that. Damage done by hunger, thirst and suffocation can't be removed by any other means than solving the problem.
Later on my favorite in this case is sending him to another plane. Basically once the Forsaker ends up on a plane he's stuck there since he can't voluntarily use magic to escape the plane, even if he finds a portal, the portal would probably be considered a magical item in some way.
Send him to any strongly chaos-aligned, or strongly evil-aligned plane would force a -4 on all Charisma-related and -2 on all Int and Wis related checks.
Throwing him in the Plane of Negative Energy deals 1d6 negative energy damage every round, which slowly wins from fast healing 3, and it is not unlikely that the plane will simply render fast healing ineffective. Negative energy is not subject to damage reduction or any kind of energy resistance. It is also not a spell, so spell resistance does not apply. The effect also does not require any kind of save. There are only two ways to protect yourself, both rather simple. Have negative energy protection cast on you or find a pocket in the plane where the negative energy trait is only mild.
Unless he obtained outsider status, throw him in Hades, forcing a weekly Will save DC 10+numbers of weeks spent in Hades or be entrapped as a petitioner of the plane. Could be really fun if there is no way out. Petitioners lose all memories and class levels, and do not want to leave the plane. Miracle and wish can undo this, but he probably would still have broken his Forsaker code, and since he has been evil lose any Exalted feats. Hades is also strongly evil-aligned so the save being Wisdom based has a -2 penalty.
The Plane of Faerie is interesting if you allow him to exit the plane, or force him to exit it, but it would cost a lot of time. Time passes seven times as fast on this plane, but the character is unaffected by this while on the plane. In other words, if you spend one year there you instantly age 6 years when you leave the plane. Assuming he has a maximum age spending to much time on this plane could kill him upon leaving it.
And finally this is the most fun. Have someone pull him into a plane of mirrors. Upon entering one of these demi-planes a mirror copy of him (excluding any mirrors in his possession) is created and will start hunting him down, reaching him after 2d20 rounds. The mirror copy is opposite in every way, handedness, alignment (and associated codes of conduct), except that it has darkvision 60 ft. even if the original doesn't and has only one goal. Killing and replacing the original, which is the only way the mirror copy can leave the plane. The original can leave the plane by exiting trough a mirror, but again these portals might be considered magical items, or maybe the mirror trough which he enters is destroyed and his mirror self find him before he reaches another mirror trough which to exit. The spell to enter a Plane of Mirrors is 5th level for Clerics and 7th level for Sorcerers/Wizards, and anyone using the spell may pull someone else in if they happen to be near the mirror.
And lastly, although I have no examples of such planes, you could throw him in a plane with the dead magic trait. While rather ironical this would even suppress some abilities of the Forsaker (including his anti-magic field, hehe). The only way to enter such a plane is trough permanent portals though, so the way out is the same as the way in.

All of the above can be found in the Manual of the Planes, and possibly partly in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

Also, psionics would only work if you use the psionics are different house rule. Normally psionics are subject to everything magic is subject to. Under this rule the Forsaker would be allowed to use psionic items and powers, unless you change this so I would not suggest this.

Last edited:

RappinTonyDanza

First Post
I will say I knew munchkining was happening when I allowed it. And I made some concessions to allow it. However the player has since changed his mind. He is now going to be a White Dragon...... players...

thanks all for the constructive suggestions. Definitely don't feel like you guys didn't help me. Most of the constructive stuff are good challenges to throw at any party and all stuff I hadn't thought of on my own.

Dandu

First Post
White Dragon
orb.jpg

Remove ads