• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm coming to San Francisco...

Urbanmech

Explorer
There is the Academy of Science in Golden Gate park that is interesting if you like natural history or animals (lots of dinosaurs, rocks, live fish and penguins and some other science stuff).
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) is supposed to be pretty good and I think it is currently showing some of Ansel Adam's work. The Palace of the Legion of Honor is also another nice art museuem. Also make sure to try lots of different places to eat, just about every cultural style of cooking can be found in the city. I hope that helps a little.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
I left my heart ....

Touristy and generally overrated:
Fisherman's Wharf
Pier 39

Touristy but worth it:
Muir woods
Alcatraz
Telegraph Hill (particularly the non-touristy part if you climb the stairs where they filmed Invasion of the Body Snatchers)

Best museums (assuming you like museums):
Exploratorium
SF MOMA
Palace of the Legion of Honor

A good walk is from Ocean Beach to the Golden Gate. You can visit the Cliff House, a couple beaches, and the Palace of the Legion of Honor along the way. If you are really ambitious, continue to the Marina and North Beach and eventually hit Fisherman's Wharf.

-RedShirt

IanB

First Post
If a 2.5 hour drive down to Monterey can fit into your plans, I recommend checking out the Monterey Bay Aquarium - it is the San Diego Zoo of the aquarium world, really the best one around.

In the City itself, I'd recommend the Asian Art Museum (www.asianart.org), the Exploratorium, and MOMA.

Muir Woods is nearby and a must see. If your tastes run to the countercultural, you should check out the Haight or maybe Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley.

Also, depending on the length of your stay, a wine tasting tour in the Napa Valley would be a good choice. :)

Edit - I forgot, the Asian Art Museum is closed right now, as they're moving to a new location. Their website has a listing of exhibits of their stuff at other museums, though...

Last edited:

Forlorn

First Post
A good rule of thumb when looking for places to eat in San Francisco. If the place is busy on a friday night its probably pretty good eatin. If its empty, keep walking. Also for good italian eats check out North Beach, its right next to china town and has some great restraunts on it. As to the rest lots of good suggestions here. Really it depends how long you are going to be in the area, there is alot to see. Everything from the Montery Bay Aquarium to Santa Cruz, and North to the Napa Valley.

Oh, also on the subject of food. If you find yourself crossing the Bay Bridge and you get hungry head north on 80 and take the first exit which is powell street into Emeryville. A right onto Powell and then a left at the first stop light will lead you towards the Emeryville Towncenter. (Just look for the Emerald Bay Theater). The ground floor of the towncenter is like a Mall foodcourt on steroids. You name a type of food and they probably have a place that serves it. Everything from Indian to French and Thai to Cajun its there to be had. The prices are good, the samples are free and its good eats for everybody.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
thanks folks, I knew I could count on you:)

My wife will be posting in a bit (using this account). if you could answer her queries, that would be great:)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Mrs. Teflon Billy

Thanks for all the suggestions..

I will actually be in town on business for a week before the hubby flies out to meet me for the weekend so I might try a few of the suggestions out in the evening - hopefully they are open. ( Didn't know there was a SF MOMA - do you have a long museum evening per week like we do - if so anyone know what weekday it is?)

Also, a lot of the suggestions tell me we probably need to plan for a little longer trip together in the future..(hmm wine asking tour - right up my liver)

Aside from my daily food budget there is one 'fancy' dinner paid for by my company so I am really looking for a romantic small restaurant - maybe seafood with a bit of beach ... any suggestions on that? Any suggestions I can get would help as that would be for the Saturday and I expect reservations are required in SF more then anywhere else.

Thanks again - hubby bought himself another few hours per week on this bboard without my nagging due to it - so yay him, lol

-=the wife=-

P.S. Mrs Teflon Billy likes gaming facilities - but we were just in Vegas so I'll pass on that suggestion on account of the bank

Forlorn

First Post
If you want romantic, seafood and a bit of beach go with the Cliff house. You are literally on a cliff above the beach, they do primarily sea food and it is quite romantic. Hearing the wave crash against the rocks a good 50 feat below is something to enjoy. Let me see if I can find that number for you. Ahh yes, here you are. The Cliff House Restaurant (415) 386-3330 . Enjoy.

Gizzard

First Post
Here's the headline from the Citysearch review of the Cliff House (Did I mention that I use citysearch whenever I am on vacation already? Yes indeedy. And that when I just was there they had a list of the 10 most romantic restaurants in SF? This also is true.) Anyway, the Cliff House:

"A stunning, sunset-perfect view of the Pacific makes up for tourist-quality fare at this oceanside landmark."

It really is a fabulous location, but as with so many places, you are really paying for the view. I've never been myself, but the review says pretty much what I had heard about the place. If you go, make sure you catch the sunset.

Hecatæus

First Post
Note that Cliffhouse is as noted, best visited at sunset; also it is "Expensive" but not out of the realm of most folks...unlike certain sushi houses in the city!

Muir woods is not in the city itself, but is in Marin county and can be a bit of a drive o'er some mountainous terrain...take a tour bus if you don't want to get lost...prices are WAY down since 9-11.

If you are into visitng game stores, visit Gamescape. I am not sure if the Game Gallery of Carmel has survived, look them up too.

Coit Tower...should you visit this momument, DON'T try to drive up to it and find a parking spot in the day...YOU WILL FAIL! Find a spot at the bottom of the hill and take the stairs.

Mission district...if you are into art there are TONS of murals all over the place...be careful though and don't visit them at night except in a sizable group.

IF you are going to alcatraz, be sure to get a few weeks advance tickets...its allways crowded and booked.

Have fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads