• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I NEED A WARLORD

Valetudo

Adventurer
So I got my players handbook and I have to say that the battlemaster is a huge disapointment. Not only does it not even work for warlord players like me, but I think its the worst subclass for fighters overall. Yeah the champion is simple but he is also effective and consistant. Adding magic into the mix makes the eldritch knight more versatile than the other two subclasses. The battlemaster just doesnt get enough S.dice to be effective and encourages too many short rests.

So anyways this thread is a call out to third party companies planning splat books. Im looking for a warlord class that fits in the 5thediton system, but also has enough subclasses for all the different builds you could do in 4th(and there where alot of them). I know thats alot to ask for but honestly its the only thing Im looking for class wise in a splat book.

Im sure there are plenty of other people wanting it also so shout out and let these companies know you want it.

I honestly don't see how they're any different from Warlords. In fact, a class entirely devoted to Warlords would be extremely redundant. What is it that you want specifically with warlords that Battlemaster's don't have? The ability to control the location of enemies on the battle? Nope, they have that. The ability to boost allies? No they have that too. 4 superiority dice between short rests is about on par with the rest of the classes, especially with the base features that the fighters get. Again, what is it specifically that you would want more of?

gyor

Legend
Here is how to build a Warlord, basically.

Start human and choose the Martial Adept feat so you start off as a Battlemaster instead of waiting till 3rd level.

Make sure to pick the Stealth skill, to observe the enemy. Athletics and Persausion are important too.

Go with protection fighting style. Other feats Healer, Shield Master (for some more battle field control), Inspiring leader.

That's 5 supiority dice when you hit level 3, and 5 manvuevers.

fjw70

Adventurer
I'd say for a real 4e feel, you'd want to make short rests 5-10 minutes and start at 3rd or 4th level. You do those two things, and I'm guessing the Battlemaster gets much closer to what you want.

:lol:

Can't xp.

Thaumaturge.

Here is what I posted on RPG.net earlier today about getting a 4e feel for 5e.

I love 4e but am really liking 5e so I have decided to have a little thought experiment to see how 5e can be more like 4e without rewriting the system. I am not trying to completely replicate 4e since if I wanted to do that I would just play 4e.

First off start all PCs at 3rd level. I would also give each PC an extra feat at character creation.

Second, I would change the AO rules to match 4e and split them out from reactions. Now everyone gets an Opportunity action on each creature's turn.

The two changes above make a 4e-like defender much more possible (taking the sentinel feat and getting more AO).

Third, make short rest 5 minutes long. Obviously this would change the balance of the classes that rely more on short rest power refreshes and am not sure how it would work in practice but it would be fun to try.

Fourth, use the 4e grid rules. Divide distances by 5 to get the square measurements. Cones become close bursts, fireballs become area bursts 4, etc.

That's about it for now. I am also thinking of looking to reflavor the bard to make a warlord.

Obviously the above is just a brief outline but I think these changes would get the game to resemble 4e a bit more.

I know the DMG will have advice on modding 5e to be more like previous editions and I look forward to that, but I was curious what could be done with a few some what minor changes to the system.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Here is what I posted on RPG.net earlier today about getting a 4e feel for 5e.

Looks right to me. A fighter with Protection style and the Sentinel feat is a pretty good defender.

Decoupling OA from reactions is a nice touch, too. That would very much deliver the 4e feel.

Thaumaturge.

Prism

Explorer
I'd say for a real 4e feel, you'd want to make short rests 5-10 minutes and start at 3rd or 4th level. You do those two things, and I'm guessing the Battlemaster gets much closer to what you want.

This is a really good point. I would say, especially for the martial classes and feats that the best way to represent the 4e feel is to adjust the rest length like you say. You could also allow multiple reactions per round to help with the defender feel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads