• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Hypothesis: Playtest 7 delayed to add elements inspired by BG3

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Well, I can safely say that the new Jump spell is actually useful now. As for the rest of the core jumping mechanic, I hope it gets it's own overhaul soon.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Is this a 'dont use real world cultural terms' change? I havent read the Barbarian section yet, or played the BG3 one (Berzerker for life!).
Yes. The Wildheart is just a renamed Totem Barbarian. There are a few minor tweaks to the spirit totem aspects, but it’s overall very close to the 2014 version.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Technically you always could, but having different names at each level does make that much clearer.
Yeah, I think that's a good quality of life change.

Pri.arily I meant thst if you are channeling Eagle, Owl, and Falcon spirits a Totem pole sort of representation would be more applicable. Though they want to avoid that for myriad and obvious reasons.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I don’t think they can change the class names. That’s probably considered too central to the brand identity, otherwise I expect they would change Barbarian’s and the Monk’s names.
Berserker and Martial Artist respectively probably (although "berserker" still has cultural connotations but not one from which people are usually sensitive).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Berserker and Martial Artist respectively probably (although "berserker" still has cultural connotations but not one from which people are usually sensitive).
I'd go with Mystic for Monk, since the BECMI "Martial Artist/Monk" was called the Mystic. Lean more into Gish-yness than Wuxia specifically, though still allowing for that to be present (Fighter, Paladins, etc. should also be able to be Wuxia).

Vaalingrade

Legend
I am legitimately surprised they aren't changing the name for the 2024 edition.
While I feel they should rip the bandaid off all in one go, I feel like they spent all their bravery on Species and the subclasses. The class names are entrenched enough that they're going to need to build up a head of steam to tackle them. they probably could have gotten away with changing Monk, but Barbarian is so broad as to who its targeting, it's hard to explain to the kind of people who will get mad at the change why they changed it.

Remove ads