• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How WotC drove me to WoW

Vocenoctum

First Post
Fifth Element said:
Check again.
I don't have search, so it'd be up to someone else to find the WotC statements at the time.

That's not a design philosophy, that's a design decision. The 4E design philosophy could remain completely intact and have gnomes as a PHB race. It was just a decision that was made.

Semantics aside, what's your point? This is a discussion forum, anyone can post, but I'm not sure why you're taking my opinion as a debate.

Gnomes in Everquest were fun in many ways, I just won't admit to that aorund the little buggers!! ;)
*Does a Stealth check vs Ringo* :D

My pal played an awesome gnome in our AD&D games: "Baddun Ballchewer". and he did....

A. Smith

First Post
Even if YOU don't have the MM, someone in your group definitely should. As such, there's no problem creating a gnome (or shifter, of changeling, or warforged).

I have the MM in front of me right now. The differences between PHB writeups and these entries are the following:

-No fluff (although it is present for the monster entries of the races)
-No suggested names or classes
-Slightly smaller special abilities list (ranges from 2 (Dragonborn, Half-elf, Halfling, although it could be argued that the latter actually has only one special characteristic they split to make it look like two)) to 5 (Eladrin) for PHB races; MM stats have only 1 or 2 characteristic per race). All races have a racial power (Half-Elves and Humans are slightly differ; they get to choose an at-will power from another or their class, respectively).
-No racial feats

... And that's pretty much it. To be honest, none of them really matter. Fluff and names are far from necessary; the slightly smaller set of special characteristics is fine, as some MM species are surprisingly strong anyways (I will personally never allow the minotaur in my game; he has +2 to con and str, AND can wield weapons one size category bigger then his (medium); this makes him a completely overpowered meelee combatant (whatever the class).) As for racial feats, they're not all that great. Some of them are spiffy, but in general, you might just as well take standard feats.

Ander00

First Post
I am in complete agreement about the ugliness of the new green dragon. A shame I'll now never get a 3.x style green to round out my Icons :(.

Some of the design decisions are dubious at best, sure. But it's not like there wasn't a whole lot of crap put out in previous editions either (Raptorans, I'm looking at you). If I made a list of things I disliked about 4E, it'd turn out pretty long, I suspect. Still, so far it seems to be a pretty fun game, overall.

cheers

The Little Raven

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Let's be honest: If dwarves or elves were moved to the MM the way that gnomes are, the howls of outrage would drive out all other conversation.

Well yeah, because the majority of people like elves and dwarves. Gnomes, on the other hand, are consistently one of the least popular race along with half-orcs. WotC's market research indicating way more love for tieflings and dragondudes than for gnomes.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Mourn said:
Well yeah, because the majority of people like elves and dwarves. Gnomes, on the other hand, are consistently one of the least popular race along with half-orcs. WotC's market research indicating way more love for tieflings and dragondudes than for gnomes.
Right. My point is the "oh, stop complaining; they're in the MM" line is just silly. It only works when it's a race that the speaker doesn't really give a crap about. The argument should be retired in favor of one that would work for elves or dwarves, because this one does not.

hong

WotC's bitch
Vocenoctum said:
D&D being minimized, sure. At the least it means I have less material to read while doing laundry.
I'm pretty sure one of 4E's design goals is to produce something that will see more use than just being read in the laundry.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads