• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How well can your players and NPCs maintain concentration for spells?

Riley37

First Post
My Bard hasn't yet lost Concentration on Invisibility, because he tends not to take damage while Invisible. Same for Expeditious Retreat, used to keep control of engagement and range; if you always stay just within bow range of the foe, and they don't have an equally long-range weapon, then they're at Disadvantage for range, and you're not.

Ran a 1st level cleric in Encounters, cast Bless at start of combat, got KO'd before any PC got any benefit from the Bless; there wasn't a "front rank" of PCs protecting a "back rank" in that combat.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
So far only one instance of broken concentration I can recall. The bard was struck and lost concentration. I'm sure it will become more common as we fight more legendary creatures with extra actions and lair actions.

PnPgamer

Explorer
The thing is that after a while when players catch up to concentration mechanics, the spells they choose will either have no concentration, or if they do, the effects are so great that it is compensated. Magic missile is way more effective one compared to witch bolt for example

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
if you're not actively trying to take down a PC's concentration, you're missing out on a key tactical element of the game. It took me a while to realize it, but concentration blitzing consistently takes the power edge away from caster types.

Croesus

Adventurer
As for concentration checks, the cleric has blown a couple checks, but at our levels (the PC's just got to 4th level), the damage taken is rarely high enough to make the check over 10, which isn't too hard to make. As they go up levels, I expect the checks to get tougher.

A quick update. The party had two very tough fights last night and the cleric maintained concentration on his Bless spell despite multiple hits. Then I realized this morning that I was giving him the +1d4 from the Bless spell to his concentration check. That's wrong - Bless only affects attack rolls and saving throws, not ability checks. That DC 10 Concentration check just became a bit harder...

Quartz

Hero
if you're not actively trying to take down a PC's concentration, you're missing out on a key tactical element of the game. It took me a while to realize it, but concentration blitzing consistently takes the power edge away from caster types.

Can you give us some examples from play?

Jaelommiss

First Post
A quick update. The party had two very tough fights last night and the cleric maintained concentration on his Bless spell despite multiple hits. Then I realized this morning that I was giving him the +1d4 from the Bless spell to his concentration check. That's wrong - Bless only affects attack rolls and saving throws, not ability checks. That DC 10 Concentration check just became a bit harder...

"Whenever you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration. The DC equals 10 or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher." -- PHB, 203. Emphasis added.

You were doing it right before and bless does help maintain concentration.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Our group avoids all concentration spells, and the cleric wouldn't even cast bless. An unforgivable sin, from what I've read on these boards. Like, croesus he was under the impression it was a con check, not save. The fact that it's a save may change his mind on that one at least.

I made an npc melee bard with warcaster just to see how it worked out, then promptly forgot about spell checks all night. Even with 18 ac he got thit a dozen times with heroism up. The PC warlock has ac 12 and has gone down three times, I've never remembered concentration checks for his hex aside from him going unconscious.

I'm tempted to get rid of the dc10 minimum, so taking under 10 damage would probably not require a check at all. That might ease the players aversion to the concentration spells. I was also having trouble reconciling spells like hold person that have concentration and a save every round.

There was a npc cleric that held the pc barbarian for four rounds, I forgot the concentration checks in that combat too. That was a long combat and had to guess when the clerics spiritual weapon (no concentration) had expired.

Joe Liker

First Post
"Whenever you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration. The DC equals 10 or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher." -- PHB, 203. Emphasis added.

You were doing it right before and bless does help maintain concentration.
Indeed, this is why spellcasters love the Resilience feat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads