• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How ubiquitous is the Superior Weapon feat?

It's a simple question:

Is your main use to the party what you can do with your weapon?

If yes, getting the best weapon you can get your hands on is a good idea.
If no, it probably isn't worth it.

For a good example of "no" from a melee character there's Martel, my current warlord. Level 3. When he hits level 4, only one of his three at wills will involve him attacking - and that will give everyone else an attack too (he's pretty ruthless at leveraging Brash Assault with the Fighter's mark, and the DM normally accepts). When your At Wills include both Commander's Strike and Direct the Strike and your L1 encounter power is Powerful Warning, no one cares how big a weapon you have. The Avenger's fullblade is bigger and hits harder and you get to play with that. Or the fighter's axe or even the rogue's dagger on rare occasions. On the other hand the Avenger is of course using a superior weapon. The size of an Avenger's weapon matters.

Likewise my Bard doesn't carry one. He's a skirmisher who uses ranged weapons, melee weapons, and occasionally implements. Too Many Feats.

And my reserve swordmage doesn't. It doesn't help Expanded Sword Bursts at all. (And I don't think it does Booming Blades - and IIRC WF does).

My now deceased Paladin carried a bastard sword. But it was hardly an optimal choice.

In short, Superior Weapons are good for people for whom it would be thematically appropriate to focus on their weapons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads