• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How should rules modules be organized?

Oni

First Post
There are likely to be a fair number of optional rules in the book(s), how would you like to see them organized? Would you like them to be in the same sections of the book as the base rules or as near as possible. I.E. Saving Throws options should be near the saving throw section, tactical module should be in the Combat Chapter, et c. Or would you like to see all the rules modules collected in an appendix at the back for easy perusal, maybe with a nice chart in the style of the 3e/4e style feat charts with a little one line synopsis of what it does (this would be a handy way of showing modules that might be dependent on other modules to be in effect ala feat chains). Something else entirely? Does it even matter to you?

Anaxander

First Post
I'd like a combination of both, actually.

Quick, easy and simple additional rules and options should be tied in directly with their relevant section, while rules which add a whole new dimension to the game (e.g. tactical combat with miniatures) should deserve their own chapter (or perhaps even their own book, depending on how "core" these rules are).

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
That really is a tough choice. On the one hand, putting the modules next to the rules they modify makes reference easier. On the other, collecting the rules at the back makes it easier to describe how best to use each module.

I suspect either a mixed approach, or modules at the end of each chapter.

For example, the tactical combat module would be in the combat chapter, but after all the basic combat rules. Skills at the end of the Adventuring chapter. Feats after classes, etc.

But I suspect that there will be inline references to modules throughout, such as "if you're using the tactical combat module, see pg. xxx."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
But I suspect that there will be inline references to modules throughout, such as "if you're using the tactical combat module, see pg. xxx."

[HUMOR] If WotC's occasional past lapses in editing are any indication... there's a good chance you might LITERALLY see "if you're using the tactical combat module, see pg. xxx." [/HUMOR]

kitsune9

Adventurer
[MENTION=380]Oni[/MENTION]. Wow, you had to ask a really challenging question. Not really sure. I think I would want to be in the "surprise me" camp. But if I had to choose, maybe the optional rule sets would be in the DMG mostly with the exception to a few treatments like feats and skills and tactical combat (maybe more? maybe less?).

Cool post Oni!

S

Sunseeker

I would prefer the appendix to simply tell me where they are in the book, and would like to seem to placed alongside the core rules so that when I first open the book I can read the core AND the options and decide which one I like best.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Player Options right there along side the material they are 'expanding' - preferably in shaded boxes or somesuch. For eg each class might have one column of core with the optiona extras right there beside in other column.

Rules mods such as Tactical combat, right there in the combat chapter.

Complete new/optional modules (eg, building and maintaining strongholds) in their own chapter.

Stormonu

Legend
Base rules in regular text, with colored sidebars for different options (just the rules portion) - right in the relevant areas.

If something needs to be expanded on, say listing all Feats, Spells or Power, it should be in the appendix in the back.

Erik le Rouge

First Post
Here is what I think will happen...

The three core rulebooks will include the basic game rules.

As started with 4e, you will see Player's and DM Option books to add extra modularity.

There won't be enough space to include all the classes and races of every PHB and on top of it add Tactical Combat in the Combat chapter.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Have Player's Handbook be a set of pamphlets, not sold separately. (You could only buy the set new. Of course, resellers might break them up, but that's their problem.)

Book 0: Unified Rules -- everything needed for playing OD&D style PCs.
Book 1: Tiered Rules -- options for playing BECMI style PCs.
Book 2: Advanced Rules -- options for playing 1E/2E AD&D style PCs.
Book 3: Systemized Rules -- options for playing 3E style PCs.
Book 4: Balanced Rules -- options for playing 4E style PCs.
Book 5: Projected Rules -- options for transcending earlier paradigms.

Once players know how to play from Book 0, they can explore other options. All of the different types of PCs should be able to play at the same table.
(The "sold as a set" requirement is in there so nobody has to wait 6 months for rules to play their gnome or tiefling.)

Last edited:

Remove ads