• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How "out" are you?

How "out" are you?

• I wear my gencon shirt to work and tried to recruit my boss and priest

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • i am out to certain folk, but i am picky

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • i don't deny it, but don't hide it

Votes: 98 47.8%
  • i deny it, sometimes even when caught with core books

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • i told my girlfriend i was havuing an affair on wednesday nights to avoid her knowing i game

Votes: 2 1.0%

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
"i told my girlfriend i was havuing an affair on wednesday nights to avoid her knowing i game"

You big kidder! Gamers don't have girlfriends!

dorain

First Post
is used to bartend at trendy northen virginian club (very geek friendly area..aol and all that) but even there i used the code word "the poker game" with most of my guests. when i eventually outed myself to a few regulars (who were gamers themselves) it came as a total shock. they were quite surprised that their bartender was a gamer.

these days i enjoy the look of surprise i get when i tell people i play dnd...i guess i stray quite a bit from most peoples sterotypical vision of a what a gamer looks like.

uberkitty

First Post
There should have been another option: "I'm female."

In my experience, women are unashamed about being gamers, probably for the reasons kengar stated about his wife. That, and the fact that geeky proclivities make women more attractive--at least to men with geeky proclivities, of whom there are many.

Also, I've noticed that male gamers who are in committed relationships tend to be more honest about their activities, since it's not going to hurt their chances with the ladies.

Churchill

First Post
No closet for me...

I checked the first response even though i don't have a Gen Con shirt (hope that doesn't invalidate my response). I do, however, have a number of comic book shirts I wear regularly (and in public - even to bars on occasion).

I may have a skewed view on things, but I figure that if someone can't deal with me because of the things I like, then I don't want to deal with them.

I'm not going to give up gaming, comic books, or science fiction so someone will hang out with me. I'm not going to give them up for a woman. It would be totally self-defeating to hide what I like. In any relationship (friendship or otherwise), sooner or later, the "cat" is gonna get outta the bag. I'd rather eliminate narrow minded people straight away than deal with it later.

Your results may vary.

Sigma

First Post
My only hang-up is that I won't every say that I 'role-play'. The phrase has too many other connotations (sexual role-playing, learning to play nice role-playing, things like that) that I don't like. I say that I am a gamer, and that I game.

jollyninja

First Post
i voted incorrectly, i don't even keep my books at home so my roomate's girlfriend will not see them. i didn't think hard enough about the lengths i go to to stop the "normals" from finding out how huge of a geek i am. though if someone finds a book and is all like "you play dnd?" and they give me the look (you have seen it) i tend to say something like "yes, and i suppose you have a problem with that?" i'm a fairly big guy. :)

Davelozzi

Explorer
Re: Re: How "out" are you?

Furn_Darkside said:
I treat this hobby like I treat all of my hobbies- I will gladly talk about it with anyone, but I don't wear a badge of honor proclaiming me a gamer.

Well said, Furn. Ditto for me.

Wolfspirit

First Post
I'm fairly open about the fact that I game. I mean, pretty much anyone that I care about what they think of me play themselves, or understand that what I do isn't that bad.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm reading Playboy or something when I read Dungeon or something like that around campus or in an open area, and I can't figure out why

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
Well I wear my many moods of Orcs shirt around town. And for my 20 year class reunion book I put down DnD3e for hobbies. I had a nice chat with our class president on that. He worked for Babbages so he knew wwhat I was talking about ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads