• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How Long Does It Take to get Sick of an Edition?

dave2008

Legend
Well Pathfinder 2 is about to land. They had a good run of 10 years. Old D&D tended to last over a decade in print and 3.X had active support for 19 years a D&D record although on paper Basic also lasted 19 years but was more like 17 with several reboots.

Getting sick of parts of 5E, can be mitigated by playing more vs DMing. I suspect in 5 years I'll be ready for 6E and are getting to the point I'll play something else on occasion but I think I'll be good for another 3 years at least.

Depends on what you mean precisely. Are you taking about RAW? Every edition I've played we have almost immediately house-ruled things. Eliminating, changing, or adding rules as we desired. I don't think we've lasted more than 1 year in any edition (and that was 1e when first learned to play in the 80s) and at this point we pretty much introduce changes immediately. We just know what we like better than RAW in some instances. So if RAW is the metric, it is pretty much 0-6 months before we are sick if it for any edition. If we include our own houserules I can make any edition last forever.

dave2008

Legend
So strangely, the game is more popular than it's ever been (so we're told), but there's a surprising lack of supplements, adventures, and quality content (or ways to find it, besides a stab in the dark on the DMs Guild.)

I think your field of vision may be a bit to narrow. There is so much content for 5e it is crazy. Just look at KS, DMsGuild, & UA Reddit. The amount of material being produced is staggering. From adventures, to equipment, to monsters, to whole campaign worlds; there are dozens of new option every day. There is something available for almost any genre.

Depends on how much you put emphasis on role play.
i realize for myself that the more I invest in role play and character motivation, background, and others,
the more I care less about mechanics.
5ed is mechanics light, so I presume it will last longer.

JeffB

Legend
I was sick of 3.5 before I ever finished reading the PHB. Created way more issues than 3.0 needed solved.

I play all sorts of games instead of running campaigns or systems for years on end, so I tend not to get sick of them.

I'm not sure of exact dates, but I started sometime around 1988 with 2nd edition in early high school.
Played it through until 3e came out in 2000, although moving towns after school meant I wasn't playing much after 94, the odd game one shot here and there. I was never really sick of 2e, it was more that there was something new to try and it was easier to find players for 3e.

3rd edition I only played for a few years, I wasn't happy with the players I was finding and eventually gave up to focus on other creative pursuits. 3.5 put me a bit as well. Pathfinder seemed like more of the same so I never tried it.

4th edition didn't really interest me

5th edition drew me back in. I've been playing regularly ever since the starter box was released and to be honest, unless something comes along that's a revelation I can't see myself moving on anytime soon.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I like elements from primordial Chainmail,1e,2e,3e,4e and 5e.... games entice me individually, and it's less about getting sick of a given game/edition than it is about deciding what I want to play or am willing to DM (some are more work than others), I might be enticed to play most any of them with the right DM and players. Not sure at all it is an issue of duration.

S'mon

Legend
From what I recall, 3e started off good but frustration mounted over time (& level). Same with PF.

4e started off bad and took tons of wrestling with to make it enjoyable. It is still very limited and hard work but rewarding for what it specifically does, so it is a game I will go back to, but for shorter term & specifically 4e-oriented campaigns.

5e my first GMing experience was bad, but it has got better and better over time, the opposite of 3e. I enjoy it more and more as I GM it over the years since Jan 2015, so no sign of tiring of it. If the classes were lower magic - a 4e style Ranger, say - it'd be perfect.

Remove ads