• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Human is Human Enough?

gwyllgi

First Post
I am currently playing as a Illumian/Sharakim Hybrid.

first of all when i did this i wondered if the sharakim curse was a one time deal or if it had ended, or if it was even a curse at all.

i and my DM came to the conclusion it was a reation to the undeluded Positive energy they absorbed from eating the pet stag of a god(dess), specifically artemis, as i've come to discover.

at this point he is basically a muscular Dark blue guy with the sharakim horns but not the teeth. which works because he's a prince from a area outside of mahasarpa

we came to a point in which i want to becom a elan. my DM is kinda concerned with the idea of it being logical.

To become a elan it seems you have to be human but isn't stated.
Illumians are human (i think) and sharakim have a human subtype, so my character is at least 2/3rds human.

is it logical for a human/ human sub race character to count as human enough for him to become a elan?

Tharkon

First Post
There is no game mechanic that allows you to be Sharakim and Illumian at once, but let's assume you can.

Both races are humanoids with the human subtype, which means they qualify for prerequisites as if they were human.

Again there is no game mechanic for creating Elans, just a description of the race. Reading that it doesn't really matter since after the ritual of creating an Elan you lose all but your basic memories and personality, and probably not possessions either. Which means you won't keep anything from your Sharakim or Illumian ancestry and won't even keep any class levels you have gained so far.

In short, Sharakim, Illumian and Elan are all base races, not templates, and they can't normally be combined. Since Elan don't breed you could not even make a logical template for half-Elans for that. The only thing I can think of is some ritual mishap where you gain some Elan features without really losing your Illumian and Sharakim traits. If your DM has gone as far as allowing a combined Illumian/Sharakim, I don't see why he would object to this if it's worked out properly, perhaps trough level-adjustments, or by only selecting some features of each race. I don't know how the Illumian/Sharakim mix is created but something similar to that could apply perhaps.

As for the curse of the Sharakim. They were transformed as a one-time permanent effect, but appear to breed true, and should be treated as a separate but related race.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads