• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how exactly could you place a spell?

Alica Vandaark

First Post
There has been a enemy fighting an ally in a distance of 70'.
The mage in the group casted a sleep and placed it exactly 14 feet away from the enemy, so that the radius of the spell will end between him and the ally to avoid the effect on the ally.
I think this is just a little bit too easily done this way. Even for an intelligent person like that mage it should be harder to estimate the excact distance.

Do you have opinions to this?
How would you decide?
May be there are rules about this, if so I don´t know em.
Lemme know, plz.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude...I was just posting quickly.

I really wish we had a FAQ or that the search function was working here because a lot of questions come up over and over and over :)

Welcome to the boards by the way :)

IceBear

Gromm

First Post
Its one of those questions that reoccurs ever so often (like Raging Sneak attacks, adamantite weapons and DR, sorcerors vs wizards, How Rangers supposedly suck), theres a lot of them so don't feel too bad about rehashing it if its been a while or whatever.
As far as the whole accurate spells, by the book theres nothing wrong with it. Alot of people have come up with different ideas of how to handle it. Generally it breaks down to one of the following:

1)Allow it
2)Require a roll (either Int or Spellcraft)
3)Force them to pick a spot without any calculations

Personally I favor 3, because it saves time and makes more sense in the chaos of combat. Plus it keeps people paying attention to the fight while they calculate in thier heads where they want to drop the fireball.

Remove ads