• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronunce "grognard"?

How do you pronunce "grognard"?

• "GROG-nerd" – /'ɡrɑɡnərd/ for those down with the International Phonetic Alphabet

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • "grog-NARD" – /'ɡrɑɡnɑrd/ in IPA

Votes: 65 59.1%
  • "gruh-NYAR(D)" – /ɡʀɔ'ɲaʀ/ in French, IPA

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • some other way

Votes: 13 11.8%

Sir Brennen

Legend
1673027948689.png
-
1673028192948.png

If I'm saying the whole word, 3.

If I'm shortening it to "grog", 2.

Re: melee unfortunately my brain is totally stuck on mee-lee (or more specifically m'lee), even though I know perfectly well that maylay is correct.
What does it say about me who says MAY-lee.
That feels like a Southern pronunciation, but not like Deep South. More like Kentucky or something maybe. I quite like it. "Gentlemen, you will stand seven paces apart and then engage in a maylee!".

aramis erak

Legend
In the context of D&D, I've always pronounced it "GRAWN-yard", sort of an American bastardization of the French pronunciation.
I tend to the groǧ-nard - where the ǧ is a voiced non-plosive sound, rather than the glottally stopped hard g at the front.
I don't grok IPA well enough to use it.

aramis erak

Legend
What does it say about me who says MAY-lee.
You don't apply the vowel-consonant-vowel rule... and mix classical and modern English vowel pronunciationss in the same word.

My preferred is may-lay (equal stress), or the variant on the French, which is closer to meh-LAY or muh-LAY, at least according to the Qebecois, Cajuns, and Creoles I've known say it.

Then again, I also usually prefer to see it spelled in English with diacritics, melée, witch makes it mee-LEE. (vowel-consonant-vowel rule, double e rule, acute accent denotes stressed syllable when not 1st. The diacritic French being mêlée...

I hate French orthography, but once you learn the "dozen oh's" (o, ou, eau, eaux, etc...), it's mostly consistent.

Remove ads