• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How are you filling the Yawning Void that is the WotC publishing schedule?

Gilladian

Adventurer
I've been helping Orc_Within and a couple others rewrite the SRD 3.5 for E6, resculpting the history of Monte Cooks Dungeon a Day to fit my campaign world, and merging the adventure parts of the Kingmaker adventure path into the same setting.

I'll be perfectly happy with this mix for probably 2 years, maybe longer...

The only 4e book I ever bought was PHI, and about 3 months worth of DDI. After that, what was the point? I really am not fond of the system...

kaomera

Explorer
I'm fortifying my house so that I'm ready when they come to take away my Essentials.

(And/or so that I can survive in the grimdark future after WotC folds and billions of Magic players are released onto the streets.)

Korgoth

First Post
WOTC cancelled what I wanted to buy from 4E (though I'll give the Heroes of Shadow a look) for 2011.

Savage Worlds has really been re-catching my attention lately. The Fantasy Companion (also digest-sized like the Explorer's Edition) is awesome and it is looking like the Hellfrost setting from TAG is quite impressive. So it might be a Savage year for me.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I bought all the Essentials products, except the dungeon tiles, which more than I really need for 4e. I have a few of the older books still (I got rid of some of them), but I'm going to wait to see how Heroes of Shadow look before I consider buying anymore 4e books (well, except maybe MM3).

I'm seriously considering buying a copy of Gamma World, but I'm not sure I can get past the concept of random card play in an RPG. Plus, if WotC won't support the game beyond DDI, then I'm unlikely to buy it.

What else am I buying instead? Well, since 4e isn't my game of choice, I've been hunting for good deals on v.3.5 books. My last v.3.5 purchase was Drow of the Underdark.

I'm also keen on Castles & Crusades. I like Pathfinder, but I'm not committed to it. You'd be more likely to find me hunting through Edmonton's various used book/gaming stores for pre-3e TSR books.

I'm an OGL fanatic, so I'm always keeping my eyes out for good OGL-based books. I found a copies of two Iron Kingdoms books recently as well as Midnight: Second Edition.

Since 4e came out, my money has gone more towards other game systems such as Shadowrun and Traveller. I haven't bough the new Battletech: A Time of War RPG yet, but I'm eager to get it.

Cheers!

KF

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I'm still standing knee-deep in good 4e material, so i'm damn happy that they are slowing down a bit. I didn't even use most DDI articles, and that stronghold one is tasty, tasty...

What's left of my time i will spend by posting to various internet messageboards.

delericho

Legend
As some others have said, I bought very little 4e material, and the only thing I've bought from WotC since the end of SWSE was the Rules Compendium. So, the current reduced schedule affects me not at all.

Still, what I have been buying/reading:

I have a subscription to the Pathfinder "Adventure Path" product. I also buy the occasional product for the game, but not many (as my tastes are now much more rules-light than Pathfinder).

Last year I picked up the remaining SWSE books (except KOTOR :( ), the Eberron 3.5e books, and a set of 1st Edition hardbacks. I read the first two last year, and so am now reading through the !st Ed books (about to start the DMG).

And I'll probably seek out and buy the three supplements for the Serenity RPG - we played that at Christmas, and there's an appetite for more.

Mostly, though, the shift to 4e (and, indeed, Pathfinder) has been a real blessing to me - I've been spending a whole lot less on RPGs as a result.

I will do what I always do when there is a lack of rpg material that interests me.....

.....Buy yet more miniatures that I wouldn't have time to paint even if I retired tomorrow. :D

Windjammer

Adventurer
I've stopped buying 4E when Essentials came up, but I plan on getting all the tile sets they produce in 2011. That's about it, though, as concerns the money WotC will see from me in 2011. I've never subscribed to DDI, and am happier about that decision than ever.

I recently got into Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. 3rd edition just came out with a reformated product line for those people who, like myself, liked the system but hated the crassly over produced, component heavy Core Box when it was initially released. (I hate having to track multiple pools of tokens - use a damn pencil, for F*s sake!) Yesterday I received 4E MM 3 (a title I held off buying for long) and the Warhammer Bestiary. I'm massively pleased with both books - I think that just about rounds out my 4E collection - and the quality of artwork in the Warhammer Bestiary puts even Paizo's Adventure Paths to shame. It's an absolute stunner.

Warhammer is damn expensive, and will keep me occupied throughout 2011. So much for books - I'm filling the void left by the cancellation of D&D miniatures by buying Warhammer fantasy figures. They are pretty expensive if you focus on special models, but GW is also selling standard models in boxes of 10 figs each. Those cost about the same as D&D minis (plus, you know what you'll get). Sofar I got skellies and drow; I also plan to get a box of orcs. The ones I got so far are superbly modelled, though a bit time consuming since they come unassembled.

Last edited:

Remove ads