• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Houserule: Leveling Up Powers

Cadfan

First Post
Sometimes powers don't have higher level versions of the same thing. This causes them to start becoming obsolete at higher levels, with no way to replace them with something that accomplishes a similar task. It sucks when this happens to something you've been using as a trademark.

So, houserule. At paragon tier, when you obtain a new attack power, you may decline to select one. Instead, take a heroic tier attack power of the same type as the power you were scheduled to select, and add [W] to its damage. This power now counts as being of the level of the power you declined to select. At epic tier you may do the same, except that you may upgrade a paragon tier power by [W], and a heroic tier power by 2[W].

Example- I take that cool whirlwind attack like fighter power from level 3 for my heavy blade fighter. It does 1.5*Str v AC, 1[W]+Str in a close burst 1 when you wield a heavy blade. This is a cool trademark, and it would suck to have it go obsolete at higher levels. So let someone decline to select a level 13 power, increase this to a level 13 power, and increase the damage to 2[W]+Str.

Seem fair? I think this may still leave some powers behind par for balance even after the upgrade, but it does extend usability a bit.

melkoriii

First Post
Powers never become obsolete....

the damage scales just fine because your weapon scales with lvl.

At 3rd lvl your Heavy Blade is a +1 weapon that normally has only +1d6 on crits and nothing else.

At lvl 26 you will be useing a +4-5 weapon that has +(4-5)d(8-12) and some other bonus plus any feats you have that add to damage.

So 1[W] does a lot more damage.

changeing this would totaly break power balance.

ff6shadow

First Post
Except 1[W] doesn't increase. If you wielding a longsword, no matter the magic it has on it, 1[W] is always just 1d8.

And adjusting for mluiplte attacks is easy enough.

Increasing a Heroic to Paragon increases only the primary attack.
Increasing a Heroic to Epic increases primary by 2, but only increases secondary by 1.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads