• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hosting a Fight Night for my Adventurers?

The title basically says it all, I run a group of 6-8 players (depending on who shows) all high level characters that want to spend an evening blowing off some steam away from the actual adventure. At times these players, get a little "mouthy" with each other during the game (all in good fun though) and have always wondered who would win "one on one" battles.

Has anyone ever done something like this? I was thinking of making random brackets and the winner advances to the next round kind of tournament, but wasn't quite sure how to run it.

So, DM's and players alike, have you ever done something like this and how would you run a "Fight Night?"

Demorgus

Explorer
The title basically says it all, I run a group of 6-8 players (depending on who shows) all high level characters that want to spend an evening blowing off some steam away from the actual adventure. At times these players, get a little "mouthy" with each other during the game (all in good fun though) and have always wondered who would win "one on one" battles.

Has anyone ever done something like this? I was thinking of making random brackets and the winner advances to the next round kind of tournament, but wasn't quite sure how to run it.

So, DM's and players alike, have you ever done something like this and how would you run a "Fight Night?"

Back during the 2nd Edition days, we used to do a last pc standing battle if we had time after the main session ended but before we wanted to go home. Usually we'd all take like 30 minutes to make a certain level character with a certain amount of gold piece magic items and then it was a battle royale.

aco175

Legend
I ran a few encounter with a group of shadow characters that each resembled one of the party members. The only thing that was different was that their weapons were capped at +1 and their spells were 1 level less. This gave the players a small edge, but the encounter was still tough.

The best part was that I gave the players one of the shadow characters to use and attack the other players. Each player had his character and another shadow character to play, but they really liked to attack the other characters. I think that the players took it to heart and nobody played it soft with having foolish actions.

Lanliss

Explorer
I don't know, just do it? Maybe have some business savvy guy set it up in an actual arena, and charge admission?

"Come one, come all, see the mighty slayers of dragons do battle! Who is more dangerous, a Wizard or a Barbarian? Can the trained assassin sneak up on the ever alert Ranger? Come pay to see a Fight for the Ages!"

Hold some betting, to give the winner a hefty chunk of money for proving that they are better than literally all of their friends at murder. :p

ranger69

Explorer
In our group I run a annual "Christmas Bash". Every year is a different theme. It is generally a last creature standing. Sometimes I pregenerate characters for them, sometimes each player gets a monster to play, usually they have to create a one off character within strict boundary's. It started a few years ago after a near tpk at the last game night before Christmas. We agreed after that to avoid running the current campaign the last two game nights before the holiday, and have one shots where the players can kill each others characters. They usually have a lot of fun.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I alter settings to include arenas just for events like this. Including a ranking system and quests, such as sometimes the players having to collect eggs to add new species onto the arena.

I've had campaigns completely derailed because the players were more interested in climbing to the top of the arena ranks than the campaign I planned.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads