• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E History repeating itself?

Sadras

Legend
I'm going to be switching to 5e.

We played 4E and my group has decided to switch to DDN and use the playtest material already, they love the simple mechanics of DDN. The playtest material is more than enough for us. We have:
Expanded on the human race option (as opposed to the +1 on all stats, although that still remains an option for paladins, rangers and monks);
Developed mutli-class rules (simple mechanic for now is you only choose one subclass);
Introduced Lesser Advantage (+2 on a roll) and
Added Armour Points
Monsters - well you can steal ideas from 2E, 3E and 4E, so no problem.

The only thing we have to figure out is the crafting of potions and scribing of scrolls at lower levels and we are set to go.

As for the original thread - well I think the original poster is wrong. The multi-class rules are easy enough to do, exploration as such has been covered on these boards at length - I'm sure they will get it right - all I want now is a beautiful monstrous manual (combination 2E flavour, 3.5 detail and 4E attack powers) and we are sorted. They definitely have enough time for that before the release.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
I didn't see anyone on this thread fussing about the differences between 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder. We are talking about if WotC is going to repeat it's mistakes with 4E or will be able to somehow make an RPG that is well received by D&D fans and is successful.

So, the changes from 3.0 to 3.5 etc, have been mentioned, don't try to mini-mod.

Warbringer

Explorer
[MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION]

Expanded on the human race option (as opposed to the +1 on all stats, although that still remains an option for paladins, rangers and monks);
Developed mutli-class rules (simple mechanic for now is you only choose one subclass);
Introduced Lesser Advantage (+2 on a roll) and
Added Armour Points
Monsters - well you can steal ideas from 2E, 3E and 4E, so no problem.

I'd love to see them.... Wanna share?

Sadras

Legend
I'd love to see them.... Wanna share?

I have just copied and pasted some of the houserules and changes we made to the playtest - we play within the Mystara setting - so some of the information like languages is specific for that setting.

CHARACTER CREATION
HIT POINTS – Everyone is given the option to roll for their Hit Points from the DM’s dice and they make take the greater of their roll or the suggested average as per the playtest. There is no full Hit Points at 1ST Level rule.

CLASSES
BARBARIAN RAGE DAMAGE
The Rage Damage is now equal to the greater of the modifier as listed in the playtest or the Barbarian’s Strength modifier.
MONK - disallowed

EQUIPMENT
ARMOUR & ARMOUR POINTS
Medium Armour – reduces damage from bludgeoning, slashing, piercing attacks and physical area damage effects (fire-breath..etc) by 1.
Heavy Armour – reduces damage from bludgeoning, slashing, piercing attacks and physical area damage effects (fire-breath..etc) by 2.
You do not need to be proficient in Medium or Heavy Armour to benefit from the above.
Each Armour has Armour Points up to 2 times the AC value of the Armour. i.e. Padded has 22 Armour Points (11 x 2) , while Plate has 36 Armour Points (18 x 2).
If these Armour Points are expended, the Armour would need to be repaired, of which a field repair can replenish the Armour Points so lost.
However, after every field repair, the Armour Class decreases by 1 and only a blacksmith or leatherworker with the necessary tools and facilities can replenish lost Armour Class. Field Repairs include religning plates back into place, koncking out dents, stitching..etc - more often than not this is a noisy business with the heavier armours and could alert others nearby of your presence.

FEATS
LUCKY - disallowed
HEAVY ARMOUR MASTER - replaces the initial reduction in damage under Armour (if higher). Also damage reduction includes physical area damage effects.

BACKGROUNDS AND LORE
LORE
Knowledge in a particular field of Lore a character possess will generally give then a +10 modifier, although for niche information, unless there is underlying circumstances why the character would justifiably know such sensitive information, his +10 would decrease to a +5.

RACE
HUMAN TRAITS
Attributes: Boost any two starting attributes by 1 point each.
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 Feet
Perseverance: Gain Advantage on any roll once/day. It signifies the determination and tenaciousness of the Human spirit (at least of the adventuring Human). Must be announced before the roll that the character is desperate to succeed.
Quick-Learner: Gain proficiency with 3 Weapons, Armours, Equipment, Lores or Languages or any combination of same.
Weapon List: Any from simple melee weapons (not javelin unless you are a Barbarian), simple ranged weapons, hand axe, light hammer, longsword, short sword.
Armour List: Shields, Light Armour
Equipment List: (specific) Artisan’s Tools, Climber’s Kit, Disguise Kit (theatre), Healer’s Kit, a Musical Instrument
Lore: Discuss with DM
Languages: Alphatian, Dwarvish, Elvish, Gnoll, Gnomish, Goblin, Hin (Halfling), Orc, Minrothad Patois, Thyatian, Traladaran, Ylari
Language: Can speak, read and write Common (Thyatian) and one extra language of your choice, although at least 80% of humans in Karameikos know Traladaran.
Apprenticeship: In addition to the primary Background you select for your character you have also gained the skills associated with another trade/profession due to your Shearing Ceremony
i.e. If you selected Fisher your knowledge would include:
Catching, gutting and cooking fish as well as basic rudimentary knowledge of fresh and salt-water fish.
Fixing fishing lines, mending and using nets, comfortable on boats/ships (depending on locale),
proficiency with all fishing related equipment, balancing and climbing, swimming…etc
Thus the character would gain Lesser Advantage to any rolls associated to the above. (Refer below to ADVANTAGE for an explanation of Lesser Advantage)
The list of trades/skills/profession is not limited to the Background playtest PDF but open to any reasonable medieval trade/skill/profession.

RESTS
TRAVELLING REST – Similar to a Long Rest, but the location in which you rested at was not adequate enough to replenish all your HD. Characters only recover 1HD. Only HD is penalised this way, not abilities, spells, powers…etc.

CONDITION
SHAKEN
A shaken creature has disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while the source of its condition is within sight.

ADVANTAGE
Advantage: Gain a reroll select the highest roll.
Lesser Advantage: Gain a +2 on your roll.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads