• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Highest to-hit scores at levels 1, 4, 8?

two

First Post
I don't know the answer, so this is not a quiz. I'm curious.

Given all WOTC published material, what is the highest to-hit score you can manage at levels 1, 4, and 8 for the following scenarios?

a) "normal" to-hit without any special modifiers. This is the base value you would use before slapping on additional pluses from magic weapons, buffing, etc.

b) "to-hit" with other COMMON factors included (flanking, buffing, magic items, etc). By common I mean a PC which can get these bonuses 50% of the time or more, either by self-buffing or getting into position on the battlefield.

I don't know the answer, that's why I started this thread.

Thanks for responding.

Mentat55

First Post
A level 1 fighter with 20 Str and wielding a +3 prof weapon matching his Fighter Weapon Talent has a +9 attack on melee basic attacks and at-wills (and +11 with Sure Strike, if you actually take that at-will; maybe a Human Fighter?). On opportunity attacks, a level 1 fighter with a 12+ Wisdom and Blade Opportunist/Combat Reflexes can go even higher.

A level 1 rogue with 20 Dex and wielding a dagger also has a +9 attack on powers and ranged attacks. With Piercing Strike, he attacks Reflex, so this might be the most accurate attack possible by a level 1 PC.

A level 1 tiefling swordmage with 20 Int using the Greenflame Blade at-will power, wielding a +3 prof weapon, and possessing the Hellfire Blood feat, also has a +9 attack.

If the Weapon Expertise feat (+1 to attack with a weapon group) that is appearing on those DDXP characters is for real, then other weapon-wielding classes will be able to reach +9 as well.

Common situational boosts @ 1st level:
1. Combat advantage (+2)
2. Charge (+1)
3. Furious Smash (up to +5 power, probably 2-4)
4. Lance of Faith (+2 power)
5. Righteous Brand (up to +5 power, probably 3-5)
6. Action Surge (+3)
7. Tactical Presence (up to +2, probably 1-2)

The options to gain attack bonuses, esp. with a warlord in the party, begins to explode as you consider encounter and daily powers, as well as higher levels.

I don't know the answer, so this is not a quiz. I'm curious.

Given all WOTC published material, what is the highest to-hit score you can manage at levels 1, 4, and 8 for the following scenarios?

a) "normal" to-hit without any special modifiers. This is the base value you would use before slapping on additional pluses from magic weapons, buffing, etc.

b) "to-hit" with other COMMON factors included (flanking, buffing, magic items, etc). By common I mean a PC which can get these bonuses 50% of the time or more, either by self-buffing or getting into position on the battlefield.

I don't know the answer, that's why I started this thread.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

Pickles JG

First Post
A level 1 fighter with 20 Str and wielding a +3 prof weapon matching his Fighter Weapon Talent has a +9 attack on melee basic attacks and at-wills. On opportunity attacks, a level 1 fighter with a 12+ Wisdom and Blade Opportunist can go even higher.

A 20 Str battle cleric using a light sword can get +8 to hit. He can Righteous Brand* his twin who flanks for him. With nimble blade they both get a further +8 to hit for +16 which will be up almost all the time. They can chain it or Tempus Fury their encounter powers to finish things.

At 5th they can add Weapon of the Gods which gives a -2 penalty to AC so they will be +2 levels +X magic & effecively another +2 - so about +21/22. Weapon of the Gods stacks but if you assume only one of them uses it each fight they should be consistently at that plus.

I can't think of anything more that adds at level 8 - they get their +2 more for level & +1 str +1 magic probably.

At 19th they can get some daily that is +2 to hit for the encounter.

*this is pretty broken really on an at-will - the all cleric party is rather strong. Should probably be off their secondary stat, charisma, though you would get the 18 STR & CHA dragonborn being nearly as bad.

Lazy Bob

First Post
Off the top of my head (hopefully more serious research will come from someone else), the basic 'best attack' setups are:

1. 20 DEX rogue with a dagger.
2. 20 STR fighter with weapon talent or tempest technique and a +3 prof weapon.
3. 20 STR paladin using Valiant Strike and a +3 prof weapon.
4. 20 INT tiefling swordmage with Hellfire Blood using Greenflame Blade and a +3 prof weapon.

All of these have a 'normal' to-hit bonus as you've described it (no situational or equipment bonuses other than the proficiency bonus) of +9 at level 1, +11 at level 4 and +14 at level 8 (assuming they raise their attack stat whenever possible).

Of these, the rogue is actually much more effective, since Piercing Strike (level 1 at-will) targets reflex rather than AC - but you asked for the bonus, rather than the chance to hit, so that's what I'm looking at (similarly, all non-weapon using attacks don't factor in, since they get no proficiency bonus - but since they don't target AC, they may be just as effective, or even more so in the case of a 20 INT tiefling wizard with Hellfire Blood using Scorching Burst).

For 'common' situational bonuses, figure at level 8:

1a. Your 22 STR cleric with Righteous Brand just gave you a +6 power bonus.
1b. Your 22 INT Tactical Warlord has landed Lead The Attack, giving you a +7 power bonus. Your warlord won't have an INT this high though.
2. You are human and spend an AP with Action Surge for a +3 untyped bonus.
3. Your 22 INT Tactical Warlord nets you another +3 untyped bonus when you spend the AP. Your warlord won't have an INT this high though.
4. You have combat advantage for a +2 untyped bonus.
5. You're level 8 and have a level 11 magic weapon for a +3 enchantment bonus.
6a. You're a rogue and you have Nimble Blade for a +1 feat bonus.
6b. Or you're a bloodied dragonborn fighter for +1 untyped bonus.
6c. Or you're a tiefling with Hellfire Blood and a flame weapon (+1 feat bonus) attacking a bloodied foe (+1 untyped bonus), but you have 2 less STR or DEX (no racial bonus, so -1 basic attack), so +1 total.
6d. Or you're a tiefling swordmage attacking a bloodied foe for a +1 untyped bonus.
7. You are a fighter with a 16 WIS (highest possible with a 22 STR at level 8) with Blade Opportunist and Combat Reflexes making an opportunity attack for a +6 untyped bonus.

That's already a +38/+39 to hit at level 8. I'm sure there are a ton of other possible bonuses I haven't remembered.

Smeelbo

First Post
Off the top of my head, using PHB only, a bloodied dragonborn fighter with one-hand weapon talent with a short sword with an opportunity attack against a foe with 3 allies who successfully "aid another" in combat, and a Warlord with Furious Smash, at 1st level:

+3 Proficiency Short Sword
+4 Strength 18
+3 Wisdom 16 Combat Superiority
+2 Blade Opportunist (STR/DEX 13+)
+2 Combat Advantage (DEX 13+)
+1 Fighter Weapon Talent
+1 Dragonborn Fury
+6 Aid Another x 3 allies
+4 Furious Smash, CHA 18

Yields +26, so don't bother rolling, but if all of his allies were Charisma Warlords with Furious Smash, add +6, so +32 instead.

At 4th level, add:
+2 level bonus
+1 Combat Reflexes
+1 Nimble Blade
+1 Enhancement

Yields +37, so again, no need to roll.

At 8th level:
+1 Strength 20
+1 Wisdom 16
+4 All four Warlord Allies gain Charisma 20
+2 Level bonus
+1 Enhancement

So +45.

I am sure the real min-maxers out there can do much better, but this is off the top of my head using the PHB.

I think Furious Smash is the best realistic ally power for this exercise, and opportunity attacks with a light blade are also the way to go.

Smeelbo

Last edited:

Smeelbo

First Post
Upon further reflection, noting that power bonuses do not stack, and opportunity attacks being uncommon, came up with the following using just the PHB:

At 1st level:

Human Fighter, Str 20, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8, Weapon Talent: One-handed, Feats: Action Surge, Toughness, armed with a short sword and attacking via an Action Point:

+5 Strength
+3 Proficiency
+1 Weapon Talent
+3 Action Surge
+2 Careful Attack
+2 Combat Advantage

+16 total so far.

As power bonuses do not stack, we need for now only consider the Warlord.

Eladarin Warlord, Str 16, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 8, Char 14, Tactical Presence. He adds:

+2 Tactical Presence
+5 Lead the Attack (in an earlier round)
+2 Aid Another in Combat

+9 = +25 so far.

None of the other three party members' powers matter, since they can only hand out power bonuses (penalties to AC can be discussed separately). So their highest contribution is Aid Another in Combat:

+6 Aid Another x 3

+31 at first level, using only PHB.

At 4th level, only the fighter's improvements matter, +1 STR/DEX:

+2 level bonus
+1 enhancement bonus
+1 Nimble Blade

+35 at fourth level.

At Eighth level, the stat bumps kick in, now Str 22/Dex 16 for the fighter, Int 20 for the warlord:

+1 Strength
+1 enhancement bonus
+1 Lead The Attack
+2 level bonus
+1 Armor Piercing Thrust instead of Careful Attack

+6, or +41 total at level 8.

Now if you count penalties to AC or Reflex, the rest of the party could contribute more, but you'd track those separately.

Hope this is helpful,
Smeelbo

Mengu

First Post
I'll just look at some at-wills. Encounter and Daily powers rather complicate things.

Weapon attacks:
20 Strength Level 1 Fighter with weapon talent and +3 proficiency weapon, using Sure Strike or Brash Strike has a +11.

Implement attacks:
20 Intelligence Level 1 Tiefling Wizard with Hellfire Blood using Scorching Burst has a +6.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads