• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

High level adventures

Matt Clay

First Post
Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations on high level adventures?

I'm looking for something around 15th level, and that has a mix of role-playing and combat.

Other adventures that I've liked, to give you an idea of what I'm looking for:
The Standing Stone (I liked how the players didn't know what everyone's motives were.)

Most of Atlas's Penumbra line

I'm a fan of multi-layered plots and stories that can take advantage of all character's skills and abilities.

I know that most publishers haven't gotten around to writing many of these yet, but I was hoping that some of you had seen some of the early attempts.

Any comments on Monte Cook's Demon God's Fane?

Thanks loads,
Matt

graydoom

First Post
Haven't played it myself, but I've heard good things about Demon God's Fane. Anyone who has played it want to chip in?

Terraism

Explorer
I'm not sure what you're looking for setting wise - a one-shot or a campaign oriented adventure - but Dungeon 87 had a great adventure for 15th level PC's - Glacier Season. You can find information on it here.

Forget which one....

One of the publishers goes out of its way to scale their adventures to the party composition and playing taste. Almost every encounter or trap has boxed text for when the party is "Holier than thou" (more clerics and paladins than normal) or what not. Very cool idea, if you ask me.

Glyfair

Explorer
Well, a lot depends on your exact definition of high level adventure. If you look at the blurb for WotC's "Lord of the Iron Fortress" it is listed as a medium-level adventure, and it's for 15th level.

Since you specifically mentioned 15th level, here are the list I have of high level adventures, and anything I know about them. Note: I have no experience running adventures for 3E above 5th or 6th level. So, any comments are just based on my general experience when it comes to balance issues.

Lord of the Iron Fortress (WotC - 15th level): Looks very good. I think this could become a favorite of some GMs. It does require planar travel as an option in your game.

Green Bones (WotC - 15th level - Forgotten Realms Book): Haven't take a close look at it, but it is short.

Glacier Season (Dungeon Magazine #87 - 15th level): It's been a while since I looked at it, but from what I remember it looked fine.

The Harrowing (Dungeon Magazine #84 - 15th level): No comment on the balance issues, but it looked like a great adventure. Also requires some planar travel options in your campaign IIRC.

Hindsight (WotC free Web Adventure - 15th level - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ch/ch20010813a ) : I haven't done more than glance at it, but you can judge for yourself. As with all the Cliffhangers and WotC online adventures, it is pretty short.

Demon God's Fane (Malhavoc Press - 14th level): Looks very good, but there is an plot point that some campaigns won't want to deal with.

A Frigid Demise (WotC Free Web Adventure - 13th - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article1.asp?x=dnd/oa/oa20010608a,3 ): I liked this one and thought it would make a good, deadly sidetrek.

Pit of Despair in Demons & Devils (Necromancer Games - 13th level): Very good, but only for GMs who love playing mindgames on their players.

Glyfair of Glamis

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"

Attachments

• survey1.jpg
    survey1.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 20,457
  • survey2.jpg
    survey2.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 12,064

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I think that Dungeon will publish a lot of high-level adventures in the months to come to help pave the way for the Epic-Level book. Also, Heart of Nightfang Spire & co. are relatively high-level, too...

EOL

First Post
Headless

In Dungeon 89 there is an adventure titled Headless, it's designed for 4 characters of level 12, but there are instructions for scaling to level 15. It would probably be easier than converting a 2e module. It is pretty hack and slash so it may not fit your tastes for a multi-layered adventure.

ProfAnime

Move along, nothing to see here
As others have already said, Lord of the Iron Fortress is a 15th level adventure and from my skimming before I read it fully, it looks good and quite challenging. Plus it also includes a nice little section on how to adjudicate all of the divination spells that the players might use to get a ton of info for the adventure.

Remove ads