• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hide in Plain sight; Legal?

niteshade6

First Post
"in the FAQ, hide in plain sight is a move-equivalent action that works like the hide skill. you can move and hide at the same time, since you can do that with the hide skill. so on your move phase of combat, you could move 15ft. to get to a foe and hide in plain sight, then on your standard action, get 1 attack. or vice versa, attack then move away and hide."

Well technicaly you need to hide while moving, you don't move up to your opponent and then hide. According to the stalking rules in S&S, if you want to move 15' while hidden and attack I believe you need 15 ranks in the hide skill. Although much like the sniping rules, I believe the stalking rules are optional and simply there to resolve what happens if somebody tries to attack while hidden, something which is not covered in the core rules.

dreaded_beast

First Post
niteshade6 said:

Well technicaly you need to hide while moving, you don't move up to your opponent and then hide. According to the stalking rules in S&S, if you want to move 15' while hidden and attack I believe you need 15 ranks in the hide skill. Although much like the sniping rules, I believe the stalking rules are optional and simply there to resolve what happens if somebody tries to attack while hidden, something which is not covered in the core rules.

yes you hide while moving, that's what i meant

however, it's hide-in-plain sight, so if there are enough shadows around, the shadowdancer can just hide while moving. i believe that the hide-in-plain sight ability does not follow the stalking rules in S&S since it is better than the normal hide skill.

Oracular Vision

First Post
Hide in plain sight is one of the most abused rules. In normal light, in plain view, no one should be able to hide from anyone without magic. How is a guy with a bow , swords, bags of loots, cloaks, etc, going to "hide" anywhere in plain sight?

hong

WotC's bitch
Oracular Vision said:
Hide in plain sight is one of the most abused rules. In normal light, in plain view, no one should be able to hide from anyone without magic.

That's why it's a supernatural ability.

Hong "d'oh!" Ooi

niteshade6

First Post
"however, it's hide-in-plain sight, so if there are enough shadows around, the shadowdancer can just hide while moving. i believe that the hide-in-plain sight ability does not follow the stalking rules in S&S since it is better than the normal hide skill."

It is better then the normal hide skill, in that it allows you do it while being observed or without cover. In all other ways it works exactly like the hide skill. It does not give you any abilities related to hiding while moving, anyone can normaly do that. You get all the same penalties and restrictions that normaly apply to doing this.

dreaded_beast

First Post
niteshade6 said:
It is better then the normal hide skill, in that it allows you do it while being observed or without cover. In all other ways it works exactly like the hide skill.

i know

niteshade6 said:
It does not give you any abilities related to hiding while moving, anyone can normaly do that. You get all the same penalties and restrictions that normaly apply to doing this. [/B]

i know this too

however, in regards to stalking, some of those penalites are moot, since those penalties are in regards to having an appropriate hiding place. since you are hiding in plain sight, you conceivable have a place to hide as long as shadows are around. the penalties involved for stalking somewhat do not necesarilly apply since you already have appropriate concealment.

besides, in combat, you would just move and make your hide check, oppossed by the defenders spot check if you have hide in plain sight. there are no other penalties involved for moving while doing this. the penalties you are talking about in S&S are for tryihng to find appropriate places for concealment and to hide while moving. with hide in plain sight you don't have to worry about that since you have the shadows. when stalking someone with hide in plain sight, you don't have to worry about finding a place to hide and having all those penalties for stalking.

dreaded_beast

First Post
niteshade6 said:
Well technicaly you need to hide while moving, you don't move up to your opponent and then hide. According to the stalking rules in S&S, if you want to move 15' while hidden and attack I believe you need 15 ranks in the hide skill.

quoted from S&S p36

"...this option works only as long as your next hiding place is within 1 foot per hide rank you possess of your current hiding place"

i assume this is what you are talking about from the above quote. with hide in plain sight this doesn't apply since you are hiding in plain sight. "plain sight". just as long as there are shadows nearby you are always within your hiding place, so this penalty wouldn't apply.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads