• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of Neverwinter as 5e Preview?

ashockney

First Post
So, let's pretend for a second that the Facebook game is a preview of 5e. If you'd like to criticize the theory, please go hit the "New Thread" button. I'd like to see what we could learn about D&D and gaming if HoN was a preview of 5e.

I've played a character to 10th, so I've seen more than 80% of the span of heroic tier. There are definitely some interesting insights.

Healing - everyone but fighters lose second wind, and the baseline for healing is now the ADVENTURE not the encounter. Clerics are the only healers. The 4e "attrition" of hp carries through, but the average damage done to the party drops significantly, so healing is a mitigation to try to get into the last encounter (usually a boss) with max hp. You can still survive if you don't, but it makes it much harder.

Powers - 4e theme carries through for powers. You have way, way less choices however, all but eliminating dailys except for second wind. At wills are reduced to one melee and one ranged attack. Simple. All the rest of your powers are usable once per encounter. You never have more than 10 to choose from - simple. You get a nice mix of buffs and attacks. Of note, only the rogue can buff offense. Only the cleric and fighter can buff hp. I love that each race gets a power - simple and elegant. Powers are essentially a mix of raw damage, condition effects, area effects, and buffs. A very simplified mix of the mechanic, with access from all the classes, but a combination of all very effective, if not required through most adventures. Thieves are the only ones who get the "disarm" and "unlock" powers.

Movement and position - simplified and pretty straightforward. Combat advantage just requires any two attackers on one defender - simple. Powers that buff movement are simple - available to rogues, wizards, fighters, and eladrin, simply add to a movement once an encounter when you need it. Comes in handy in almost ANY encounter. The cover/concealment is GONE. If you've got cover - the blast/attack is blocked, period. You want to hit the dude, move to get a direct line of sight. Much simpler.

Magic Items - Less slots (six), less to track. You can get a new magic item pretty much every level. Everyone can benefit from each slot. There is one slot that's "super rare" and difficult to fill - rings. To me, this made the magic seem magic again. STRIVING to obtain that last slot...Looking for each upgrade, there was always one in reach through purchase, reward, AND adventure. Split them up to make them all valuable. Magic items no longer give powers - simple. They all add a bonus. The high-end heroic tier items add a secondary bonus (ie, sword +2, +3 vs beasts).

Potions and Trinkets - pulled away from magic, these are available from level 1 and are all purchasable, but they are the most expensive. You need to use them sparingly. Food, salves, backpacks, kits, potions, glyphs. They all buff for an encounter or an adventure. The glyphs are game-breakers, but super expensive - in gameplay terms, I'm thinking "artifact".

Adventure Building - When you complete heroic tier, you can complete the build out of adventures. There are simple, basic templates to build upon. You can play your "secondary" characters through these adventures, and run your friends. I don't want to overlook this. It both simplifies the role of the DM, as well as encourages a share responsibility of creating adventures. Adding a layer of difficulty by allowing for a simple "build up" tool with HARD and HEROIC tiers of complexity. One simple math shift to add that extra bit of challenge to an adventure - simple.

Treasure, Rewards, and Achievements - loads, and loads of treasure. Darn near every room, and rewards from each adventure - should you succeed. Sharing rewards with other players - face it, this is a SOCIAL game. It's COOL to get advantages from your crew. It's an excellent framework for a simple, fulfilling, and consistent rewards system. Homerun!

Monster mechanics - There is a clear architecture to filling an adventure. There is a delicate balance to number of villians, that leans much more heavily on minions. Solos don't get a million actions but are still very challenging because of their AoE and triggered attacks. Monster's most deadly effects are "triggered" effects from bloodied and and dying conditions. Less damage overall from 4e, but that same methodology. They seem to hit less frequently as well, and the players very, very rarely miss (maybe only on a 1).

Conditions - 4e carried over and simplified down to combat advantage, bloodied, dying, dazed, prone, stunned, and slowed. Dazed is VERY common. The super-combo is the prone/daze combo which is essentially a stun lock. Stunning is also tough. All seemed very delicately balanced with one another.

Secondary benefits - simplify, simplify, and simplify again, so what do you get? A MUCH faster game. You could likely complete an adventure at the table in an hour if you're good, and not more than two for most groups. Easy portability to multiple game formats - tabletop, card, computer, facebook. A simpler infrastructure introduced something we haven't seen in three editions - PLAYING TOGETHER THROUGH THE TIER AT ALL LEVELS. That's right, you could easily piece together any party of four characters from levels 1-10 and pick a "representative" adventure that can still pose a challenge to any party using the simple adventure building mechanics. Re-opening the door for - austere and EARNED rewards.

Have you played Heroes of Neverwinter? What did you think of the game?
Could these simpler elements translate to a TRPG?
Can we survive with simpler? Would our games benefit from it?
Do these things resonate with what you've "read into" Mike and Monte's musings?
Do you see anything in this from other games you play (not D&D) that you love?
What might still be missing that could be added to this if it were a framework?

Game on...

Wycen

Explorer
I've played it and still play it. It's gotten a little grindy and while I'm at level 6, only 1 other friend is that high and only 1 is level 5, most of them stopped at level 2.

It is a version of 4E that I can play and enjoy, though the socialization with friends around the table is missing as is any role playing, but to answer your other questions:

Could these simpler elements translate to a TRPG? Yes, simply don't bother with a battle map, or any map at all.

Can we survive with simpler? Would our games benefit from it? We could survive but it depends on what or who's benefiting. Combat Advantage or that feat that gives you more attacks of opportunity is less useful when you freeform combat unless you pester the DM constantly to consider factors like that.

Do these things resonate with what you've "read into" Mike and Monte's musings? I generally read the small blurb Mark of CMG's posts here and/or the first paragraph from Monte, but I'm not really interested that much.

Do you see anything in this from other games you play (not D&D) that you love? Not really. The encounter format used is crap, reminds me of the final 3.5 days with a map and explanation of how combat might work with no interactive role play what so ever. I just love that it takes care of all the rules/heavy lifting for me.

What might still be missing that could be added to this if it were a framework? Multi-branching quests, overland travel or something to make it less compartmentalized (see above answer).

ashockney

First Post
RangerWickett - it's great to hear from you! Thanks for chiming in. I'm hoping to spark some interest and thought around the topic.

Wycen - excellent feedback, and I thank you for your thoughts. As to your point about socialization, have you found the ability to play with your friends? It took me a while to find it, they didn't do a good job of explaining it.
Step 1 - invite your friends on FB, they will show up at the bottom
Step 2 - you can give your friends gifts when you visit their house (1/day)
Step 3 - you can click on their picture and it will show their characters. You can then add their characters, of any level to your party for FREE! It normally costs you gold to recruit. This both makes it cheaper and easier if you get stuck while leveling. Your characters earn gold when they're "recruited".
Step 4 - you can "watch" someone else's game with your character and vice-versa. Your role is to "add in buffs" when needed, and you can socialize with each other on the chat window.

I found these steps to help with the grind.

Also, a great point about AOO's. They're gone - simple.

It takes care of the rules, but no interactive roleplay. That's definitely the element missing, but if the DM had this base set to work from, wouldn't that help you to then "mesh" the story and fill in the blanks?

Multi-branch quest - they do add several of these later in the game, by adding a "keying" element - you need part A, for part B, for part C. This does bring to mind that the game doesn't let you "CHANGE" the world. I don't "FEEL" the change in respect for having a near paragon level character, and don't see the impact he's made on improving the region for completing his quests. Overland travel and random encounters - interesting! Good call out.

darjr

I crit!
interesting. I haven't played it but I think you might be on to something, especially if you broaden it out to include other products like gamma world. though I don't think there is anything quite like SWSE was to 4e

ashockney

First Post
interesting. I haven't played it but I think you might be on to something, especially if you broaden it out to include other products like gamma world. though I don't think there is anything quite like SWSE was to 4e

Darjr, it's great to hear from you, as well!

I concur that SWSE and Gamma World both lend a certain element to 4e that were somehow missed with the actual MONSTER of 4e's PH, DMG, and PH. Simplify. Elegant = superior, if done right. I LOVE the quick character creation add-on in GW. I love the simplified condition track of SWSE. What your favorite elements from those games that you've not seen spelled out, yet?

the Jester

Legend
It just donned on me, feats are gone. Could you live without them?

I loved feats when they arrived in 3e, but in 4e their design space overlaps a lot with both powers and class features, especially stuff like stances. I think they are ultimately redundant in the current system and basically only add to the option overload we see in 4e. Especially given that feats don't usually really do that much in 4e.

ashockney

First Post
I loved feats when they arrived in 3e, but in 4e their design space overlaps a lot with both powers and class features, especially stuff like stances. I think they are ultimately redundant in the current system and basically only add to the option overload we see in 4e. Especially given that feats don't usually really do that much in 4e.

Hey Jester! Agreed there is some overlap in the space around feats. I do like them as a possible "add-on" to swap or enhance customization, increasing replay-ability. There is also certainly the issue of "scope creep" when everything inherent to design REQUIRES some kind of statistical benefit related to it.

ggroy

First Post
Powers - 4e theme carries through for powers. You have way, way less choices however, all but eliminating dailys except for second wind. At wills are reduced to one melee and one ranged attack. Simple.

This sounds similar to the melee classes (ie. slayer, fighter, rogue) in the 4E Essentials "Heroes of the Fallen Lands" book.

(I have not played Heroes of Neverwinter yet).

More generally, how do the spellcaster at-wills function?

For example, does the wizard have an at-will magic missile which always hits?

Remove ads