• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Heritage has no ability bonus

Gandalf970

Explorer
Heritage gives no ability bonus, but Background does. I like this as it makes players choose heritage for things other then +2 Str or +2 Dex etc. One background bonus I found strange was a Noble getting a +1 STR, until I read the text. The suggestion is your a second born and thus need to be stronger and pursued martial skills. Overall the design is great, my players are making huge adjustments in their character creation. Instead of knowing the stats and abilities they are reading and coming up with characters I haven't seen since the GURPs days. They are out of their comfort zone, but in a great way.

Staffan

Legend
I like that ability bonuses have moved to Background as well. There's one thing I wonder if I'm missing though. In O5e, most PCs will get a +2 and a +1 from their race. In LU, there are two +1s for Background, but is there another step that gives a bonus I'm missing? I'll willingly admit I haven't had the time to peruse the books very much yet.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Heritage gives no ability bonus, but Background does. I like this as it makes players choose heritage for things other then +2 Str or +2 Dex etc. One background bonus I found strange was a Noble getting a +1 STR, until I read the text. The suggestion is your a second born and thus need to be stronger and pursued martial skills. Overall the design is great, my players are making huge adjustments in their character creation. Instead of knowing the stats and abilities they are reading and coming up with characters I haven't seen since the GURPs days. They are out of their comfort zone, but in a great way.
Yeah, I think it's a good idea. First Borns would have a very hard time adventuring. Too much responsibility at home. They'd make better NPCs (In particular as allies/enemies/mixed for your Noble PC!)

Gandalf970

Explorer
I like that ability bonuses have moved to Background as well. There's one thing I wonder if I'm missing though. In O5e, most PCs will get a +2 and a +1 from their race. In LU, there are two +1s for Background, but is there another step that gives a bonus I'm missing? I'll willingly admit I haven't had the time to peruse the books very much yet.
I don't think they get another +1 from race which I am fine with.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
They specifically changed it to just +1 to 2 stats to help balance out the extra power given between your culture, heritage and background.

Faolyn

(she/her)
IIRC, you're either supposed to use an O5e race and background, or an LU heritage/culture and background, but not a combination of the two, specifically because of the way the ASIs are given out and how heritage/culture give more abilities.

You can get ASIs from your stronghold. See page 362. Looks like up to +3 in an attribute based on the stronghold type as well as increasing your maximum for the attribute by 2. You'll need a Grade 6 stronghold to get all of that.

Remove ads