• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Here are some free A5e things.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
I like making Narrator’s lives easier. 😌 I made some little free things for you to enjoy, that might solve some problems for you.

Here's a further simplification of encumbrance which incidentally let me solve the problems of only being able to fit 200 halberds on a Galley and the vexing problem of tracking Ammo without tracking Ammo.

Here's something if your player wants to be a unicorn 🦄, I hate having to tell them no, so I thought I'd write this up. I guess they can be mermaids as well.

I’m having trouble understanding your ammunition rules. Could you explain a bit more?
[edit: i think] the amount of ammo you have when you buy ammunition is represented by the listed die. you roll the die when you leave initiative, reducing the die size on a 1 or 2. if a d4 is reduced, you run out of ammo. you can increase the size of the die by buying the ammo again (i'm assuming normally it bumps the die size up to the specified size, then by 1 max d20 each time you buy that ammo again).

also, speaking of the ammunition rule, there's a formatting error where the A5E logo is plastered over the right side of the paragraph explaining how the ammunition increments work.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
[edit: i think] the amount of ammo you have when you buy ammunition is represented by the listed die. you roll the die when you leave initiative, reducing the die size on a 1 or 2. if a d4 is reduced, you run out of ammo. you can increase the size of the die by buying the ammo again (i'm assuming normally it bumps the die size up to the specified size, then by 1 max d20 each time you buy that ammo again).

also, speaking of the ammunition rule, there's a formatting error where the A5E logo is plastered over the right side of the paragraph explaining how the ammunition increments work.
Yes. The clever bit is that if you get more than D20 Ammo it starts counting towards bulk.

So you can generally ensure you don't run out of Ammo, the quiver of ehlonna exists and would help, but it keeps the possibility.

Negative consequences for exploration challenge failures, temporary, reduced equipment issues. It gives some granularity without extra book-keeping.

Wow... that logo shouldn't be there. I'll check it out. Got over 129 downloads!

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Right. Sorted that. Thanks for the heads up! I'm very much a novice at the actual layout business, although I'm starting to get quite into it. :) Good job btw on understanding, not original to me, it's from the Black Hack but I've always wanted to fit that into my D&D games. :)

Right. Sorted that. Thanks for the heads up! I'm very much a novice at the actual layout business, although I'm starting to get quite into it. :)
no problem.
Good job btw on understanding, not original to me, it's from the Black Hack but I've always wanted to fit that into my D&D games. :)
first time i saw it was in giffyglyph's darker dungeons pdf, and i recognized it pretty much immediately - although in that you roll it every shot, not at the end of initiative. way more punishing, and probably more appropriate for magical/special ammunition (giffyglyph's document recommends you record magical/special ammunition individually, but the description for your product mentions that encouraging spending magical ammunition is part of the goal, so that doesn't sound particularly useful here!).

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
no problem.

first time i saw it was in giffyglyph's darker dungeons pdf, and i recognized it pretty much immediately - although in that you roll it every shot, not at the end of initiative. way more punishing, and probably more appropriate for magical/special ammunition (giffyglyph's document recommends you record magical/special ammunition individually, but the description for your product mentions that encouraging spending magical ammunition is part of the goal, so that doesn't sound particularly useful here!).
That's definitely a variant you can use but you'd probably want to check with your players to see if they're into it.

Remove ads