• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help needed with Latin

FungiMuncher

First Post
OK, I’m trying to come up with a name of a race of anthropomorphic animal, but trying to avoid that long term, and not use any previously used name. The people who would have named them are Roman-esque and speak Latin. Beyond looking up word derivations, I have not studied Latin (silly me for trying all this, eh?)

Anyway, one of my searches of Latin-English dictionaries has turned up the word “Francigeni” meaning the Frankish people. Using this as a basis, would these terms make reasonable Latin(ish) names?

Faunigeni – Animal People (the overall group)

Canigeni – Dog People
Feligeni – Cat People
Ursigeni – Bear People
Equugeni – Horse People
and so on.

Also, what would a single person be called, a Faunigenic, a Faunigen, or what?

Do I have any of this right? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

FM

DanMcS

Explorer
Genus means family or people, so you're on the right track there. A single person of that people would probably just have the suffix lopped off, so a person of the Canigeni might be called a Canus. Feel free to screw with the suffixes of the words, you don't have to be completely literal, especially since canigeni means "dog people" and canus means just "dog", I'd go with a person of the canigeni being a cani. Not completely grammatical, but it works.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads