• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me tweak and run the Smilodon Cat

sukael

First Post
(Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this sort of thing.)

So, I'm planning a sort of pseudo-boss monster for the session I'm running tomorrow... DMs out there may recognize the Smilodon Cat from the AD&D module Dungeonland. The PCs (4 of them, though there may be 3 or 5 tomorrow depending on the number of players) are all level 10, with appropriate wealth (used the PHB2 appendix "standard packages" for equipment).

I want to make this monster, in a straight-up fight, around CR 6 or 7. The thing is, it won't be sticking around for a straight-up fight--it'll bug out using its ethereal jaunt ability when it gets in trouble, wait for its fast healing to heal it up, and then stalk back in once the PCs are off their guard. How would you run this beastie? Is it too strong? Too weak?

Smilodon Cat
Large magical beast (extraplanar)
Init +5; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Listen +10, Spot +10
----------
AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+3 Dex, +5 natural, -1 size)
hp 51 (6 HD), fast healing 1
Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +3
----------
Speed 40 ft.
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Melee 2 claws +11 melee (1d6+6) and bite +9 melee (1d8+3 plus improved grab)
Base Atk +6; Grp +16, rake +11 (1d4+3)
Atk Options pounce
Special Actions Mighty Roar 1/day (30 ft., Will DC 14 or shaken for 1d6 rds), dimension door (at will, self only, CL 15), ethereal jaunt (at will, free action to turn ethereal and move action back; CL 15), invisibility (at will, self only, CL 15)
----------
Abilities Str 22, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills Listen +10, Move Silently +12, Spot +10
Feats Improved Natural Attack (claws), Mighty Roar, Multiattack
----------
Skills Listen 9 ranks, Move Silently 9 ranks, Spot 9 ranks.

Goolpsy

First Post
the Monster seems fairly weak even for a CR 6 or 7
It sure has some nice abilities.. but it doesn't have any overwhelming bonus to hit, nor any real dangerous damage output. It has low ac, and not that many HP..

You might end up with the party killing this beastie in about 1 turn if you're unlucky..
Besides that i think i tell you how the encounter will go: you attack.. (from an invis state).. maybe get 1 more attack... then the players will attack.. and you will have to hide.. but you wont be able to deal any serious damage of any kind...

With some inventive players, the beast will die the 2nd time it tryes to re-sneak-up on them

Rhun

First Post
I agree with what everyone is saying about it being too weak. A group of 10th level PCs are going to tear that thing up in a single round. A 10th level fighter-type alone is going to be able to max power attack an AC17 creature and do more than 50 points of damage with his two iterative attacks.

sukael

First Post
v.2... what would you judge this guy's CR at?

EDIT: Some more info the on the party--at the moment, there's a dwarven cleric (standard buff-and-bash type), an elven bard (focused on buffs and backup healing), and a human monk (highly mobile, non-grappler type with Escape Artist ranks). This is essentially a pick-up game, so the exact party composition tends to vary from week to week.

Smilodon Cat
Large magical beast (extraplanar)
Languages Common
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Listen +9, Spot +9
----------
AC 15, touch 11, flat-footed 13 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural)
hp 112 (15d10+30 HD), fast healing 1
Fort +12, Ref +11, Will +7
----------
Speed 40 ft.
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Melee bite +21 (2d6+7/x3 and improved grab) and 2 claws +19 (1d6+3)
Base Atk +15; Grp +26
Atk Options pounce, rake (1d6+3)
Special Actions dimension door (at will, self only, CL 15), ethereal jaunt (at will, free action to turn ethereal and move action back, CL 15), invisibility (at will, self only, CL 15)
----------
Abilities Str 24, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills Balance +9, Hide +5*, Jump +18, Listen +9, Move Silently +9, Spot +9
Feats Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Multiattack, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack
----------
Skills The Smilodon Cat gains a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Hide, and Move Silently checks. *In forest terrain, his Hide bonus improves to +11.

Last edited:

Squire James

First Post
The choice of feats is interesting, though I find it difficult to visualize. I'd place it at about CR 9, still a bit easy for a seasoned party. I'd add a bit more Con, and either a lot more natural armor (like +14, for a final AC of 24, still Power Attack bait but now not ridiculously so) or a constant Displacement effect (50% miss chance, very annoying). The Hit Dice are probably okay. Give it maximum HP (HD 15d10+45, 195 hp) and the displacement effect, I'd put it at a respectable CR 11.

sukael

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Can you spell out what the differences are between the Frostburn version and yours? That will make it easier to cost the added abilities you giving it.

I advanced it from 9 to 15 HD, changed it to Magical Beast (with the appropriate BAB/save/HD changes), and then gave it its unique abilities.

Remove ads