• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me find this D&D Adventure by Gary Gygax

fnwc

Explorer
Ok, so perhaps two years ago I was in a campaign where the DM ran an adventure from either Dragon or Dungeon magazine, which was I believe written by Gary Gygax. Due to other reasons, we never were able to finish the module, but ever since then I've been looking for it. Unfortunately, I can't remember the details too well, except that it was somewhere between 9th and 12th level, and there was this room with an iron golem and a throne.

When we began to do battle with the golem, I remember there were programmed illusions on the walls where there was a virtual audience that clapped and cheered for us during the fight as if we were in an arena. After we managed to defeat the creature, the illusions dropped an item for the character who dealt the finishing blow, which was quite a cool touch.

Overall I found the module quite enjoyable and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to find it.

T. Foster

First Post
AD&D module WG5: Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure, by Robert J. Kuntz and E. Gary Gygax, published in 1984 (though largely based upon material that Rob Kuntz had originally written approx. a dozen years earlier). This module was revised/updated to 3.5E and published in an expanded version (with its title changed to "Maure Castle") in issue 112 of Dungeon, which is probably what you played. Further expansions have appeared in issues 124 and 139, with the promise of still more to come.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, as i understand it, not the whole module was revised, just the pertinent sections of it.

fnwc

Explorer
T. Foster said:
AD&D module WG5: Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure, by Robert J. Kuntz and E. Gary Gygax, published in 1984 (though largely based upon material that Rob Kuntz had originally written approx. a dozen years earlier). This module was revised/updated to 3.5E and published in an expanded version (with its title changed to "Maure Castle") in issue 112 of Dungeon, which is probably what you played. Further expansions have appeared in issues 124 and 139, with the promise of still more to come.

Thanks, mate!

grodog

Hero
BOZ said:
well, as i understand it, not the whole module was revised, just the pertinent sections of it.

The module was revised and expanded substantially when republished in Dungeon 112: many additional details about the Suel cults who inhabited the levels originally were added vs. what originally appeared in WG5. The Cult of the Purple Stone, for example, didn't exist, nor did the other three cults described on the same level (level 2 IIRC?).

Also, the original module was written entirely by Rob Kuntz, Gygax added the introductory materials only. In Dungeon 112, those intro materials were not reprinted, and instead a short story that Gygax originally published in Wargamer's Digest in 1974---describing his PCs' encounters in the first level---was provided. That short story is one of about 6 or 7 that Gygax wrote during the nascent days of OD&D, in which he described game play via stories set in and around Greyhawk Castle or related environs (in the case of the story in Dungeon, his tale describes events in Kuntz's own Kalibruhn campaign and Maure Castle levels).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads