• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help me figure out this point buy thing

Xarls Taunzund

First Post
talinthas said:
So i want to make a 3rd level minotaur fighter using the dragonlance rules(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/dl/minotaurrace ) and a 28 point buy, 3.5 style. only i dont know how to do this, since i normally roll my PCs up. Any thoughts/advice?

also, i'm planning on making him LN, using a greataxe.

All stats start as a base of 8, to buy stats up you spend 1 point each up to 14, 15-16 2 points each, 17-18 3 points each, 19-20 4 points each, etc...

DrSpunj

Explorer
Well, the point-buy system is pretty straightforward. It's in the DMG but it's easy enough to retype here.

All abilities start at 8. To increase an ability costs a certain number of points.

Here's the ability score and the number of points each costs:
  • 9 = 1
  • 10 = 2
  • 11 = 3
  • 12 = 4
  • 13 = 5
  • 14 = 6
  • 15 = 8
  • 16 = 10
  • 17 = 13
  • 18 = 16

Some DMs allow you to take a score down to 7 for +1 point, 6 for +2 points, etc., but not all so check with your DM.

It's fairly obvious the point of diminishing returns is from 14 to 15. Paying for a 16 isn't too bad, especially since with a non-human you can bump your favored racial stat to an 18 (or in your case with a Minotaur, to a 20). But paying for a 17 or 18 means a few 8s, 9s and 10s.

For a Minotaur with +4 Str and -2 to Dex, Int & Cha, I'd probably buy the following stats (with their point values) + racial adjustments = totals:
Code:
[size=3]  Str 16 (10) +4 = 20
  Dex 14  (6) -2 = 12
  Con 14  (6)    = 14
  Int 10  (2) -2 =  8
  Wis 12  (4)    = 12
  Cha  8  (0) -2 =  6[/size]

I could easily see switching the Dex & Int around, but as a Fighter I figured you'd appreciate the extra +1 to your AC and Reflex saves more than a couple extra skill points per level. YMMV.

Hope that helps.

DrSpunj

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads