• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Me Build a Dwarf Psychic Warrior

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
On that d8HD- I just checked, and I am indeed mistaken. My bad. (I also forgot about that non-proficiency with Tower shields thing...I'm WAY off my game tonight.)

As for the heavier armor, I understand not being able to afford it now. However, your guy could talk to your fellow PCs and see if they'll pitch in the next time you're near an armorer, even if your share of the treasure doesn't quite add up to that yet.

maggot

First Post
I think some of your choices are bit short-sighted. I think you will regret Psionic Body later since you already have a 16 con. The Dex 14 is good while you cannot afford heavy armor, but then is hosed by that armor (until you get up to mithral plate or some such, and by that time, you can have a dex item).

I'd replace Psionic Body with Power Attack. Not particularly good with your +1 BAB, but next level you can grab Cleave!

I'd go Wis 15 and Dex 12. Then at 4th, you can up your Wisdom to 16. More power points!

Or I'd take an Int of 10, because 1 skill point/level isn't all that fun. Use the extra skill points to buy Autohypnosis so you can stablize if you are unlucky in your first few levels. 5 ranks of Concentrate even gives you a synergy with autohyp, so you'll have 5 ranks + 2 for wisdom + 2 synergy for +9. In future levels, you can spend the skill points on whatever looks good.

Equipment-wise, I think you are fine considering your limitations. Can you fit in a ranged weapon.

And I think you got your will save wrong. +0 for 2nd level Psychic Warrior +2 for Wisdom +2 for Resolve PsyCrystal gives +4.

starwed

First Post
Isn't there a feat in Races of Stone that lets you expend psionic focus to up your AC by 3 as an immediate action? (I think it was even reprinted in CompPsi.) That might be better than psionic body, since as others noted AC can be more important than hp. There's also a psionic dwarven prestige class in that book that you might as well glance at, in case it strikes your fancy.

Regarding power selection, I'm not sure I'd want two powers that each upped my AC by 1. An interesting option, if you're really concerned about survival, might be compression. It gives you +2 Dex and +1 AC, so effectively a +2 to AC bonus. And if you use a throwing axe or daggers, that's a +2 bonus to your ranged attack with no penalty to damage.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I'd strongly consider picking up some additional weapons:

Get a slingshot for ranged combat - 1 gp and it gives you the option to hang back. Engaging the right opponents at range will keep you alive longer. +3 hit and D4+3 damage is vaguely acceptable?

If there's another fighter type around, then grab a reach weapon. Longspear is nice and cheap? Not for use all the time, but stepping back from toe to toe range can be good? Plus the AoO when stuff tries to approach you?

As for powers, expansion can be nice - particularly in conjunction with said longspear. Although dropping your AC is painful. Vigor might fit with a tough character, albeit a bit expensive to use right now.

Bacris

First Post
Don't discount psionic body - he's at +6 HP now and gets another feat next level.

If he needs Power Attack next level, he can get it then...

I agree with Biofeedback - I used that on an egoist I played instead of Vigor - I definitely noticed a difference if we went against opponents that only did a single die of damage, as some of their attacks simply didn't hurt.

I also agree with Expansion, if only to allow you to attack enemies before they can approach you, as opposed to going on the offensive.

Rolflyn

First Post
Second Draft

Thanks for all the advice. I can only use PHB and ExPsiHB, so I can't use ideas from other sources. Turns out I have 300gp in starting equipment, so I can get some banded mail and drop my Dex to 12.

Here is my second draft. 28-pt DMG standard point buy system.

Str 16
Dex 12
Con 14 +2 racial = 16
Int 8
Wis 15
Cha 8 -2 racial = 6
Feats: Psicrystal Affinity (Resolve), Psionic Weapon, Psionic Body
Powers: Biofeedback, Thicken Skin
Major Equipment: Banded Mail, Dwarven Waraxe, Heavy Wood Shield, Handaxe, Sling
PP 3
AC 19
HP 25
Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +4
Concentration (5 ranks) +8

I admit expansion and biofeedback look good. But at 2nd level they both last two minutes, which probably means one fight, which probably means I'm out of power points after using them both. Also, I don't think I can sit around for two rounds powering up while the rest of the party fights the baddie. I'm the tough. So I took only one of the one minute/level powers, and it was biofeedback because it avoids damage while expansion attracts it. And as I said before the party is healing light.

And if I really want to be expanded, perhaps the party wizard can hook me up.

I thought about expansion with Dex 14 because then my AC drops only by 1 when I expand. But I decided more power points at fourth level would be good.

I'm not really happy with Thicken Skin. It seems like a long term purchase. Right now it is +1 AC for 20 minutes. I like the 20 minutes part, but the +1 AC isn't all that inspiring. Any other ideas for a longer term power.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you go with a reach weapon (and don't have access to books like OA, Rokugan, DCv1 and others), go with the glaive- its martial, you can trip with it, and its base damage is 1d10- quite the bargain. Add some armor spikes and you're golden.

As for PP & power selection, you don't have the points nor the time to fully power up every time. With only 3 PP, I'd only use one power in a given combat- IME, a combat is unlikely to last more than a couple of minutes anyway- and you'll still have PP for later combats.

The main advantage of the Psionic Expansion over the Arcane Enlarge is that Expansion can boost size 2x...and isn't subject to ASF. But if you've got a guy in the party willing to Expand you, that will enable you to focus on other abilities.

Rolflyn

First Post
I like the psychic expansion because it only takes an action instead of the full round for the arcane Enlarge Person. But I could always pick it up later. Right now, I'm building to survive to the next level, not to maximize damage output.

Same with the glaive. I have to lose the shield for that, and that's a lot of AC. I could pick up a glaive later. Not like I took any weapon focus feats or anything.

But unfortunately, I'm going back to the drawing board on this one. Someone else in the gaming group has decided to also be a tough dwarven fighter type. Kinda kills the uniqueness angle and the party doesn't really need two.

So thanks everyone. Back to the drawing board. Elan psion?

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, if someone else wants to be a dwarf fighter, there's even more reason to play a reach-warrior.

The best shield in the game is another PC: hide behind that dwarf, Expand, use a glaive and kill critters before they even get to you...all your AC has to do is fend off the ranged attacks.

That's how my Githzerai Monk/PsyWar (with the Polearm Fighter feat, a Reach weapon and Expansion) operated- striking with reach from behind a big human barbarian. The Barbarian effectively had a whole bunch of high-damage AoOs going off all around him, allowing him to cleave to great effect. The monk was virtually untouchable with his high (Dex & Wis based) AC and a raging barbarian in front of him.

(I reccomended this tactic to someone else on these boards for designing a particular encounter- he said it worked for him too.)

Teamwork kills!

I think you could even optimize things by using the tactical feats from CW. Isn't there one that covers tandem fighting techniques?

As for an Elan Psion...

Everyone I know on these boards always talks about "blaster" builds for Psions. OK. But I think it might be cooler to go Nomad with an eye towards Elocator. There are also all kinds of great archetypal TK psis in fiction, like Niven's Gil Hamilton, King's "Firestarter," or the ones from Bab5. And since WotC expanded the Pyrokinetic PrCl to have variants for all energy types (online), you could easily play someone like a TK martial artist with electric powers (as an Electrokinetic)- like Rayden/Raiden from Mortal Kombat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads