• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Have you played or run Paizo's Adventure Paths?

Have you played or DMed Paizo's Adventure Paths?

• Shackled City - levels 1-6

Votes: 97 39.0%
  • Shackled City - levels 7-12

Votes: 55 22.1%
  • Shackled City - levels 13-end

Votes: 35 14.1%
  • Age of Worms - levels 1-6

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Age of Worms - levels 7-12

Votes: 52 20.9%
  • Age of Worms - levels 13-end

Votes: 26 10.4%
  • Savage Tide - levels 1-6

Votes: 60 24.1%
  • Savage Tide - levels 7-12

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Savage Tide - levels 13-end

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • I have not played or DMed any of the APs

Votes: 76 30.5%

Steel_Wind said:
(Yes - I was in Indy for the unveiling of 4E when Chris Perkins assured all of us there that the "sweet spot" would be there for 1st through 30th level in 4E. In case the recording of the presentation missed it, there was a LOT of snickering and "yeah rights" that came from the back of the room when Perkins promised that. I didn't believe him then - and I don't believe him now, either.)
Even if you believe him, there are still other factors:
Players or DM's getting tired of following one campaign with the same characters. Or just getting thrilled by some other campaign setting or adventure. Or even a new game system. But making "3 Seasons" of an adventure path will probably help a lot to reduce this problem - it might not be the same group that plays season 1, season 2 and season 3, but if all are equally valid, that still sounds fine.
Especially once D&D 4 is established, some groups will just want a high level campaign - and it's great if there are adventures ready for them then...

Capellan

Explorer
I played through the first two adventures of AoW and loathed, loathed, loathed them (I know I am in the minority here). Whispering Cairn was like playing a CRPG: find a door there is no way to open except by completing an arbitrary miniquest; complete the miniquest; find another door there is no way to open except by completing an arbitrary miniquest; set off on that miniquest only to discover that to complete it ... you have to undertake another miniquest. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. The last fight is ridiculously deadly too (or should be, if the monsters use a modicum of their tactical advantage).

Three Faces of Evil ... man, I like Mike Mearls. I know him well enough to have slept on his couch ... but this was horrible. Just a succession of slogging, brutal battles where you're always at a tactical disadvantage and have no way to overcome that fact. All you can do is try and find the least hosed option available. Add in some other weirdness (monsters without darksight operating just fine in darkness, for instance), the railroaded path of the adventure, and the 'suspension of disbelief' jarring mental gymnastics needed to justify how the heroes can rest and recuperate in such a hostile environment, and I have a recipe for frustration and tedium.

When my character died two sessions before I was due to move out of town, I didn't bother to create a new one. The other guys switched to a new (homebrew) campaign after 3FoE was finally done and seem to have a much better time thereafter.

JustinM

First Post
Are these for sale on Paizo's website? I see Shackled City there but not the other two. Kind of disappointed that I didn't get hip to the magazine thing until it was too late.

Pinotage

Explorer
JustinM said:
Are these for sale on Paizo's website? I see Shackled City there but not the other two. Kind of disappointed that I didn't get hip to the magazine thing until it was too late.

They only made a hardcover version of Shackled City and sold that. All three are, however, available in Dungeon magazine, so you can just buy the copies of Dungeon that correspond to each adventure path to get the whole thing.

Pinotage

Psion

Adventurer
I started Shackled City, but never finished.

I think the idea of a 1-20 published adventure is just at odds with my playstyle. I see published adventures more as a break or opportunity to mix things up; for longer term gaming, I find the freedom with the story line in compensating for player actions that comes with frequent homebrews (interspersed by single adventures or short 3-adventure arcs) works better for me.

Schmoe

Adventurer
I started running Shackled City (from the hardcover) somewhere around April of this year, and with bi-weekly sessions we've just finished up the first adventure. I'm really enjoying the campaign so far. I've read all three of the APs, and I think that SC is the one with the most potential. The key word, though, is potential. If it's run simply by-the-book without some work by the DM to make the city come alive and to tie things together, it can sort of become a rambling mess of one dungeon after another. It would have been nice if more of the adventures actually involved the city, rather than just "how quickly can we get to the next dungeon." For example, I'm replacing the entire first half of Drakthar's Way with a city-based warehouse investigation.

While I'm having a great time running the campaign, I doubt that we'll be able to finish it, especially if our pace doesn't pick up a bit. At 10 sessions for the first adventure, even assuming that's one of the longer adventures, we're looking at 100+ sessions for the campaign, which is 200+ weeks, or roughly 4 years. If I had a stable group of long-time friends that I gamed with, it would be doable, but this is a pick-up group at the FLGS, so the magic 8-ball says "unlikely".

Drowbane

First Post
Played: SC 1 - 7, AoW 1-5
Run: AoW 1 - 6

I have no experience with Savage Tides... if only it (and AoW) came out in Hardcover.

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
James Jacobs said:
AND: It takes a long time to finish these things

Definitely. When 4th Edition was confirmed, I thought "well, that explains why Wizards didn't approve an Age of Worms hardcover." Why allow a product that will occupy your customers for years beyond your new product launch date?

My group in partway through Zenith Trajectory in Shackled City. They just suffered a 50% Party Kill at the entrance to the Underdark. (Those who are familiar with the module know why.) Between the complex beastie and the spells in play (obscuring mist, glitterdust, web and lots of summoned monsters) the encounter was ridiculously complex. So much so that I'm gonna pull a Deus Ex Machina of some sort to get the party back into shape without losing lots of cash, XP and time. Otherwise they seem to enjoy the module, we just need to move through the modules faster. (The dungeon in Flood Season took 4 or 5 sessions, without exploring all of it!)

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I've been co-dming an AOW campaign with the other DM in my group -- we're about to play the very last session of the last adventure, and I'm excited to finally face Kyuss, and to finally have the adventure path completed.

Our logistics created some special challenges for the other DM and myself -- we take turns running each adventure, so I'm a player this adventure and I was the DM for the Wormcrawl Fissure.

I've also been running the campaign a second time for a group of D&D novices, but I'm planning to divert away from AOW after we complete Blackwall Keep -- I find I'm not enjoying the experience of running the same adventures a second time as much as I hoped I would -- and the reduction in prep work isn't enough to make up for that.

As has been reported earlier, some of the adventures needed some hefty adjustments. I made some changes to Blackwall keep to make it a bit more interesting -- running battles with lizardfolk through the marsh as the party tried to escape with the Dragon Egg (of COURSE they tried to take it out and sell it!).

Our group averages 6 players per session, so we tend to play about a level lower than the adverntures call for, but these are all very savvy, experienced players who squeeze everything they can out of their characters, and many of the encounters that look like they should be tough don't end up being as tough as they ought to be. We didn't lose any characters permanently in Spire of Long Shadows (at that point, a death here or there isn't that big an impediment, since we've houseruled the level loss to by an XP loss that doesn't actually eliminate any abilities, just makes it a longer haul to the next new level) and I even made some encounters tougher than they needed to be (the overworm, for instance, I gave the ability to absorb a wormswarm and heal itself that many of the other NPCs in the adventure had -- that made for a very long, scary fight for the party, but in the end they pulled it out).

Playing out the last adventures in the path isn't as much fun as the previous adventures have been. This is only my second time DMing and playing at this level (the previous experience was with a home campaign), and there's just a lot more flipping through books and trying to keep up with everything you need to know. Key battles with major enemies tend to be too easy, IMO, if there are no minions to absorb some damage and PC attention during the fight. Dragotha, whose battle I was DM for (instead of player), never really had a chance against the PCs, and I had even brought in some other NPCs as fodder (the warlock and wyvern rider were also in the room with Dragotha, as well as some other trash).

The Ulgurstasta Sorcerer (whose name I forget) who was one of the first major bosses was nuked in a single round by a well-placed, heavily metamagiced spell from the party wizard. (sudden maximize is downright nasty at high levels). A big fight that should have been climactic was about as climactic as hitting a caterpillar with a hammer. ;)

I think, in large part, the way our parties handle the encounters is in part because of the party size -- even if we're a level lower than might be expected for that encounter, I think that numbers are more important than that missing level. Having 6-7 actions for everyone one of Dragotha's, for example, is very telling. And the shards of Balakarde's soul were much too helpful, IMO.

We've had a great time with the AOW path, overall, and we're jumping from this into the pathfinder one as soon as we're done with AOW. I don't mind that some of the adventures like Spire of Long Shadows are exceptionally deadly -- or at least I don't agree that they're TOO deadly.

If there were things that I would like to be stronger in the APs, it would be related to the plot and the NPCs, but I'm fairly certain that these complaints are more about the style of game we've fallen in to as much as it is the AP. One example would be Lashonna. In our campaign, Lashonna made very little impression on the party when she first appeared, and so the discovery of her true nature and goals made very little impression on them. When they finally encountered shards of Balakarde's soul, they needed to be reminded of who he was and why they cared. Sustaining character relationships with the NPCs -- and keeping them engaged in the ongoing plot -- is a challenge, especially when the AP is so linear -- the PCs can't really change the course of the path through their actions, so why should they pay close attention to what's going on? There's no reward for that investment.

At the same time, I don't know how you'd write an AP that had that sort of flexibility. And our game tends to be combat heavy and RP light, so that's a big part of the issue, too. But the PCs know that they're going to end up where the fight is anyway, why should they worry about trying to steer? The AP experience doesn't really reward that sort of player engagement, at least not without major DM investment and customization.

-rg

Beckett

Explorer
To extend on my previous answer, I do plan to finish the two paths I'm running. As we're getting into the double digit levels, things are getting more complex on both sides of the screens- but from what I've read in the later adventures, I think it will be worth it.

AoW really stalled out with a number of people leaving the group for a variety of reasons. Going from a high of eight players down to three (and only two of those being members from the start of the path) knocked the wind out of my sales. I do have Spire of Long Shadows prepared for the remaining group (I run the APs gestalt, so always need to do some extra touch-ups), but just haven't felt like running it over some of my other choices.

We went back to Savage Tides last night, after I ran two nights of Rise of the Runelords. I've really liked what I've seen so far, with Tides of Dread having been one of my favorite adventures period. We did about half of The Lightless Depths last night which... just doesn't click with me. I was tempted to skip it, let the Jade Ravens handle it or something, but I decided there is some neat stuff I want the players to experience. The stuff around the neat stuff, I'm trying to hurry through.

Remove ads