• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro selling D&D IP?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Tencent does have an ownership stake in Larion (not sure how much), so that BG3 success must look pretty good to them.

Stonesnake

Explorer
Tencent does have an ownership stake in Larion (not sure how much), so that BG3 success must look pretty good to them.
Tencent owns 30% of Larian. And Tencent owns A LOT of video game companies.

I said in my original video that this deal would make a lot of sense for everyone involved. I can easily see this happen, especially after last year when Hasbro canceled four video game projects and seems to be completely out of creating video games going forward.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
About ten paragraphs into the pandaily story they mention that their sources say that this "selling off" is only about a perpetual or time-limited license for digital games that would not require a share of revenue.

And that happens to be quite believable, because it would still allow Hasbro to make money off of books, other licenses (like TV/movies), Beyond, VTT, etc.

Plot Twist: Tencent noticing the popularity of the mon videogame Palworld talk with Roll for Combat to create the videogame of "Battlezoo". (Disclaimer: Of course I was kidding).

In the last years 5e hasn't touched the Chinese culture as source of inspiration, but one of the dark realms in the "reboot" of Ravenloft. It is as if they wanted to avoid possible risks by fault of "dangerous friendhips".

A parnetship WotC-Tencent is possible. Tencent could create a "xuanhuan" D&D setting, by and for Chineses, avoiding possible taboos, for example about the undeads. This setting would also to be published in the Western market.

If Hasbro really needed to be acquired, then it should be other company under the same control of the investement fund.

And if Hasbro is well informed, I doubt they want to risk in the Chinese market for this years.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Tencent owns 30% of Larian. And Tencent owns A LOT of video game companies.

I said in my original video that this deal would make a lot of sense for everyone involved. I can easily see this happen, especially after last year when Hasbro canceled four video game projects and seems to be completely out of creating video games going forward.
Except Hasbro didn't cancel those games that were claimed to have been cancelled, according to the studios that were producing the games and are still hiring for those projects.

Remove ads