D&D General Hasbro Is Looking For Partners For Baldur's Gate 4

Sequel is still "very much on the cards".

bg3-astarion-party-full.jpg

Last month, Baldur's Gate 3 developer Larion Studios revealed that it was 'elated' not to be working on further D&D video games, expansions, or DLC.

However, Wizard of the Coast's Eugene Evans says that a sequel is still "very much on the cards". Evans is Senior vice president of Digital Strategy and Licensing for Hasbro and WotC, and was talking in an interview with PC Gamer.

“We’re now talking to lots of partners and being approached by a lot of partners who are embracing the challenge of, what does the future of the Baldur’s Gate franchise look like? So we certainly hope that it’s not another 25 years, as it was from Baldur’s Gate 2 to 3, before we answer that. But we’re going to take our time and find the right partner, the right approach, and the right product that could represent the future of Baldur’s Gate. We take that very, very seriously, as we do with all of our decisions around our portfolio. We don’t rush into decisions as to who to partner with on products or what products we should be considering.”

Fans of the characters, such as Shadowheart and Astarian, created by Larion and introduced in BG3 will be pleased to know that they are now owned by WotC, meaning that it's not impossible that they would show up in any sequels. Evans said "Larian created a much loved cast of characters, who were even celebrated by their nominations, the voice actors behind them and the talent behind them was celebrated at the [BAFTAS]...And they are now essentially part of D&D canon."

I love BG3 and D&D both, but I honestly think the 5E system held BG3 back. It's a strange alchemy where the brand brought more people to the game, but then the game grew to something far greater.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

Last month, Baldur's Gate 3 developer Larion Studios revealed that it was 'elated' not to be working on further D&D video games, expansions, or DLC.

However, Wizard of the Coast's Eugene Evans says that a sequel is still "very much on the cards". Evans is Senior vice president of Digital Strategy and Licensing for Hasbro and WotC, and was talking in an interview with PC Gamer.

“We’re now talking to lots of partners and being approached by a lot of partners who are embracing the challenge of, what does the future of the Baldur’s Gate franchise look like? So we certainly hope that it’s not another 25 years, as it was from Baldur’s Gate 2 to 3, before we answer that. But we’re going to take our time and find the right partner, the right approach, and the right product that could represent the future of Baldur’s Gate. We take that very, very seriously, as we do with all of our decisions around our portfolio. We don’t rush into decisions as to who to partner with on products or what products we should be considering.”

Fans of the characters, such as Shadowheart and Astarian, created by Larion and introduced in BG3 will be pleased to know that they are now owned by WotC, meaning that it's not impossible that they would show up in any sequels. Evans said "Larian created a much loved cast of characters, who were even celebrated by their nominations, the voice actors behind them and the talent behind them was celebrated at the [BAFTAS]...And they are now essentially part of D&D canon."
If they make a BG4 I hope it is in another generation/era with a complete new cast. I really liked the characters and their story arcs in BG3, but I feel that their stories were brought to a satisfactory conclusion. I want new characters with my new campaign. A few eternally recurring characters like Minsk & Boo, Elminster, and Volo are nice fan service. Trying to do the same with Karlach, Shadowheart, Gale, Wyll, Lae'zel, Halsin, etc. is too much. Some nice easter eggs in found books, NPC dialog, statues, frescos, etc. would be fun, but I want new companions and NPCs.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Honestly? I'd rather BG4 be... not BG4, lol. Give me a 'BG' game set in Eberron or Ravenloft. Hell, give me Spelljammer or the like. Anywhere more interesting than Faerun.
Eberron, yes! Ravenloft...maybe, with the right team. Spelljammer, I'm not so interested in. Ravnica would be cool and may draw even more interest given the size of the MtG fanbase.

StarkMaximum

Explorer
It's always a great sign when you fire the people working with the company making your game and that company talks about how excited they are to not be working with you anymore, and your immediate reaction is "seconds? Seconds, anyone? More money, please?". This is the most comically inept thing they could ever say and I am negative excited for a BG4 without anyone who made BG3 (or hell, even BG1-2) the masterpieces they are. They hit a lightning strike somehow managing to turn two of the most iconic CRPGs of all time into a trilogy and get the third one decades later to actually challenge if not surpass the previous two, and of COURSE they're immediately doing every dance and ritual they can to try to summon that lightning to strike again and again as many times as it can. Wizards just cannot take a W and walk away.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think you missed my point: it used to be common for CRPGs in series to come out once a year or so using the same foundational engine. I'd like that back.
I was more thinking of Solasta as a replacement for the Gold Box games where you'd see new modules every few years. Honestly, the engine needs serious polishing--I sort of think of it as Gold Box like in looks (which is not a compliment) but a good game system.

Last edited:

If it was so easy other videogame studios would be creating their own CRPG with their own IPs, trying to follow the same Larian's path, but this is easier to be said than be done.

It is not only about software, but also fun gameplay and good plots.

And I wouldn't bet for the online multiplayer, because it is too risky. Dark Alliance hasn't worked so good.

Ravenloft would be perfect for a survival horror style Resident Evil Village/RE8.

There is a good opinion about Dragon Dogma 2 by Capcom, isn't here?

LesserThan

Explorer
I love BG3 and D&D both, but I honestly think the 5E system held BG3 back. It's a strange alchemy where the brand brought more people to the game, but then the game grew to something far greater.
I think the rigidity of D&D has ALWAYS hampered branded video games, not just 5e.

Turn based to start is very hard to compete with titled like Cyberpunk where you get free play, until Johnny Silverhand drags you into some new problem of his.

"Dammit V, get your head together!"

D&D is just not a genre as many other TRPGs have built themselves into. D&D is just any random medieval fantasy in video game terms. So, every medieval fantasy video game ends up surpassing D&D ones.

GreyLord

Legend
It's always a great sign when you fire the people working with the company making your game and that company talks about how excited they are to not be working with you anymore, and your immediate reaction is "seconds? Seconds, anyone? More money, please?". This is the most comically inept thing they could ever say and I am negative excited for a BG4 without anyone who made BG3 (or hell, even BG1-2) the masterpieces they are. They hit a lightning strike somehow managing to turn two of the most iconic CRPGs of all time into a trilogy and get the third one decades later to actually challenge if not surpass the previous two, and of COURSE they're immediately doing every dance and ritual they can to try to summon that lightning to strike again and again as many times as it can. Wizards just cannot take a W and walk away.

It's not the W they are interested in...it's the $$$.

I think that even if the next BG game (BG4 perhaps) will do okay no matter how bad it is. If it is bad than it will sink into infamy, but it will still make millions based off the popularity and reputation of BG3.

On the otherhand, if they ever want a BG5...they'd want to have a greater investment in it with people who actually care about it as much as Larian cared about BG3.

Matching what Larian did with BG3 is going to be VERY TOUGH. I don't know many who I would even trust to try to match them.

I think Obsidian could do a good copy of it (probably not match up, but probably be a good match up sort of like what KotoR 2 was to KotoR, or NWN 2 was to NWN)....though we are working more with their boss now that owns them than what the old Obsidian would have been.

Owlcat may do a good job, but it would be DIFFERENT, and I'm not sure how fans of BG3 would take to something that different.

Remove ads

Remove ads