• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro gains big time from D&D, Magic, Monopoly, and Baldur's Gate 3

Teemu

Hero
Well, that's the rub, right? We can't even decide if this constitutes a "new version." It is starting to feel more like the Black Border 2E set -- errata and new art and layout -- than, say, 3.5. I think everyone can agree it isn't a "new edition."
It's definitely a new "version" of the books, even if it doesn't constitute a new edition as we understand them. It'll have new art and updates to the rules.

darjr

I crit!
What's interesting now is that, thanks to the 5E SRD being in Creative Commons, and the engine and mechanics being complete, Larian could now make their own game with their own IP that would look and feel a LOT like BG3 without having to pay WotC $6 for every unit sold.

Walder's Great 4.
Some would argue they could have done something similar using the OGL.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Some would argue they could have done something similar using the OGL.

Agreed, but Creative Commons removes any ambiguity on that count.

Plus having BG3 under their belt is game-changing in terms of what they now have the latitude to do next, and they did need WotC to get here. Just not sure they need WotC moving forward.

darjr

I crit!
Agreed, but Creative Commons removes any ambiguity on that count.

Plus having BG3 under their belt is game-changing in terms of what they now have the latitude to do next, and they did need WotC to get here. Just not sure they need WotC moving forward.
Absolutely.

Things might have been more …. Complicated …. Under the OGL 2. (Or 1.5 or whatever)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, that's the rub, right? We can't even decide if this constitutes a "new version." It is starting to feel more like the Black Border 2E set -- errata and new art and layout -- than, say, 3.5. I think everyone can agree it isn't a "new edition."
It's more like 1E to 2E. It is a new Edition by standard publishing industry usage, but it would be wither the 9th or nearly 20th Edition by thst same usage so I can see why they dropped it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What's interesting now is that, thanks to the 5E SRD being in Creative Commons, and the engine and mechanics being complete, Larian could now make their own game with their own IP that would look and feel a LOT like BG3 without having to pay WotC $6 for every unit sold.

Walder's Great 4.
The IP of the Forgotten Rwalms is still worth a lot: the game leaned heavily into the Gith and Mindflayers, and specific lore elements of the FR.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter

Walder's Great 4.
The vast majority of what is in BG3 -- mechanically or lore wise -- is NOT released under Creative Commons. I don't expect Larian to do more than a year or two's worth of DLC for BG3 while they work on the next Divinity game.

Remove ads