• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anybody checked out Medieval Societies?

johnsemlak

First Post
Has anybody check this product out yet?

A Magical Medieval Society

Any thoughts?

I was particularly interested in comparisons with Gygax's recent World Builder from Troll Lord Games. Is Magical Medieval Society trying to do a similar thing?

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
Hmmm. No, I havn't, but it's really tempting now that I know about it... If anyone likes it, I'll probably pick it up.

haiiro

First Post
If you haven't already done so, you might want to check out the <a href="http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=693&PHPSESSID=3e1ca7e5a4cb561d311b8f949a551551">free preview</a> (which covers town/city generation).

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
It's going to be my March purchase. It's a suppliment I want and Joe B is a good guy. Why not support the good guys when you get a chance?

johnsemlak said:
Has anybody check this product out yet?

A Magical Medieval Society

Any thoughts?

I was particularly interested in comparisons with Gygax's recent World Builder from Troll Lord Games. Is Magical Medieval Society trying to do a similar thing?

We'll i go away for enchiladas and come back to find a thread with my name all over it... :)

A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, is not trying to do a similar thing to World Builder. It is doing what the entire gygaxian fantasy series is doing... basically its helping you create your own worlds.

We realized that there was almost no information for DMs concerning how to make cities and kingdoms. We went ahead and did around 6 months of research to put this together. We give DMs information to build a faux medieval environment, but we make sure to not tie the DM to the truely medieval environment. We've tryed to take into consideration the effects of the Core Rules magic when extrapolating the society.

Not to toot my own horn here, but i think this is one of the best D20 supliments for GMs. Try out the free PDF to get a glimpse of what's going on in the book. Its just the generation system for cities. We have something like 60+pages of text that pulls all the various aspects together.

Honestly, i can ramble forever about this book :) We used three ENworlders as our content readers and they all loved the book. Hopefully they'll speak up a bit and give you more information than i feel like i can here. I don't want to come off as a salesman. I want you to buy the PDF, but that's not just because i'll make some money off of it, but because this is an awesome book.

If you want to know anything else in specific, i'll gladly answer your questions..

joe b.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
I for one will definitely be getting this book. However, I will be waiting for the hardcover version as opposed to the PDF version. Hopefully that will be out soon!! I would encourage everyone to check out the free download. It looks pretty "tight".

Oracular Vision said:
Is there somewhere else to download the preview from? RPGNow wants you to register to buy before letting you get it, and I don't want to do that.

Sure, send me your e-mail (mine is josephbrowning@exp.citymax.com) and i'll send it to you directly. If anyone else is wary of RPGnow.com (i've heard nothing but the best) just let me know and i'll send you the freebie as well.

joe b.

Last edited:

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe is a tool kit, an aid to putting together a campaign setting. I don't see it as competition to the Gygax Fantasy Worlds line, but as a supplement. Complementing the latter books.

Haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but what I've seen tells me it will be a great help as I put Tales of the Wolf Folk Sea together. Matter of fact, I'll be doing the twin settlements of Riverside and South Side Using MMS:WE and using those two towns as the focus for the start of the new game I'm starting this week.

So expect to see a copyright notice for MMS:WE and EXP when I (finally) get product up on my site.:)

mythusmage said:
A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe is a tool kit, an aid to putting together a campaign setting. I don't see it as competition to the Gygax Fantasy Worlds line, but as a supplement. Complementing the latter books.

the way my wife described the relationship between the gygax line and our book is pretty dead on. if you like one, then you'll probably like the other. if you don't like one, then perhaps you'll like the other one (i.e. it has what you were looking for that wasn't in the other book)

either way, they are two different ways of approaching the same problem--how do you create a world? MMS:WE focuses on a social approach (building a society and everything else falls into place). That's why we integrate text and generation systems. One without the other is only half the problem solved.

Haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but what I've seen tells me it will be a great help as I put Tales of the Wolf Folk Sea together. Matter of fact, I'll be doing the twin settlements of Riverside and South Side Using MMS:WE and using those two towns as the focus for the start of the new game I'm starting this week.

So expect to see a copyright notice for MMS:WE and EXP when I (finally) get product up on my site.:)

excellent! I've dropped by once or twice. I'll continue to check up on it.

joe b.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads