• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gungslinger Reloaded, 2nd round of playtest ONLINE

Borthos

First Post
I'm liking this one a lot better but I still feel the class needs more Grit. Only getting the Wisdom modifier means, in a point buy, anywhere from 1-2 grit, or with rolling, anywhere from 2-4. Before the magic items and stuff, of course. Why not make it 3+Wis modifier like the monk?

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I like guns in my games-- longtime Spelljammer fan-- but I don't see any reason why Gunslingers should be anything other than standard Fighters.

Tovec

Explorer
I like guns in my games-- longtime Spelljammer fan-- but I don't see any reason why Gunslingers should be anything other than standard Fighters.

How do you do guns in your games then? Do they resemble the most recent attempt or any of the previous rules made for guns or something completely different?

I know that in our games, my fellow DMs and I have been toying around with alchemical guns. They have a similar gp cost that the Pathfinder rules seem to use but they follow the crossbow rules almost to perfection otherwise. The weapon proficiencies fall into two categories depending on setting and time-line. The first says if you are proficient with a certain crossbow you are proficient with its alchemical gun counterpart. Other rules stipulate a general TYPE of gun (hand guns, rifles, shotguns) you have to be proficient with and a couple of types of guns fall under that category.

Overall, I'm glad paizo is making the attempt but I think they still haven't hit the target on what a number of us are looking for.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I'm liking this one a lot better but I still feel the class needs more Grit. Only getting the Wisdom modifier means, in a point buy, anywhere from 1-2 grit, or with rolling, anywhere from 2-4. Before the magic items and stuff, of course. Why not make it 3+Wis modifier like the monk?
More Grit would be good.

BTW, why everyone thinks one have higher abilities with rolling? Is everyone cheating :confused::confused:

Borthos

First Post
No, no one's creating, but IME, rolling nets you two higher ability scores (15-18) while point-buy can usually only get you one, if you neglect the rest of them.

More Grit would be good.

BTW, why everyone thinks one have higher abilities with rolling? Is everyone cheating :confused::confused:

When rolling, most people tend to use the 4d6-L method, which has, inbuilt, a "discard terrible characters" rule (and, oftentimes, a "discard characters you don't like even if they aren't terrible" rule).

I haven't done the math for PF, but in 3.5E the average 4d6-L, discard terrible characters, result was several points higher than the standard point buy. I suspect the trend holds true in PF.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
How do you do guns in your games then? Do they resemble the most recent attempt or any of the previous rules made for guns or something completely different?

I like the gun stats in the playtest; before that I used the guns in Shadow of the Spider Moon. Costs for firearms and ammunition depend on the local economy and tech level, but are generally drastically reduced.

Overall, I'm glad paizo is making the attempt but I think they still haven't hit the target on what a number of us are looking for.

I'm just not interested in the new classes in Ultimate Combat. I am assuming the book will have other features that will appeal more to me, and I am just happy to see strong support for it.

With the firearms rules and the detailed descriptions of the other planets in Golarion's solar system, I'm hoping we will see a full-fledged Spelljammer-style supplement soon.

Remove ads