• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Since I did a Dragonlance version of this, let's do a Greyhawk version.

Before the Twin Cataclysms, the Suel Imperium created wonders beyond present-day imagining. Recently, explorers in the northern edges of the Sea of Dust discovered an vast network of ancient bunkers, filled with strange mechanoid soldiers, apparently created in the last stages of the Baklunish - Suloise Wars, ready to march when the order was given. However, the Rain of Colorless Fire meant that that directive was never given, and the creatures have lain dormant since then, protected from the cataclysm in their bunkers. When the explorers entered the complex, they accidentally awoke the constructs, who, due to the person or persons authorized to give them orders being long since dead, now have free will and have set out exploring the world.

Blunty, this isn't hard. I've created two canon-appropriate origins for warforged for two different settings, in a matter of mere minutes for each. Neither will "wreck" the lore or feel of the world.

And just to conitnue, For the Realms, just use the same story, just replace the war in question being Netheril vs the Phaerimm (with Karsus' Folly causing them to be disrupted and shut down until their recent discovery). Granted, the Realms have so many tinkering wizards and the like over the years that it would be just as simple to have a more recent origin (or just combine the two - someone found one of the old, broken-down Netherese versions, and created their own functioning warforged).

So three origins for the warforged in a few minutes.

Last edited:

Mournblade94

Adventurer
For the Realms, just use the same story, just replace the war in question being Netheril vs the Phaerimm (with Karsus' Folly causing them to be disrupted and shut down until their recent discovery). Granted, the Realms have so many tinkering wizards and the like over the years that it would be just as simple to have a more recent origin (or just combine the two - someone found one of the old, broken-down Netherese versions, and created their own functioning warforged).

So three origins for the warforged in a few minutes.
Plus they had a Half Golem in the Rage of Dragons series as the main character

Chaosmancer

Legend
It seems that the idea of Greyhawk as a unique setting with a distinct "flavor" is extremely overwhelmingly unpopular. So ok, turning GH into just another FR with everything and the kitchen sink thrown with no logic also seems to be the prevailing desired viewpoint. All good, just add every single thing from all the 5e/6e books and just who cares about GH as a setting, it's just stupid old thing anyway, right, it's basically just throw away trash if it's not "super current"? All change is good, no matter what, because change.

No one has said that.

Who cares, wotc can do no wrong, they are perfect, especially now a days. So ok I don't have any more energy or time to fight the tidal wave of wotc can do no wrong and GH is stupid anyway so let's change it all to make it exactly the same as FR or whatever. I have an actual d&d game to prep for, so I leave the 6e GH/FR or whatever it is to the all the brand new day 1 customers and carry on enjoying other things. That's the message, right?

No one has said that either.

I've said many times what I really think, and how it would make sense to add stuff to GH in really good way. But that doesn't matter, it's all or nothing. If you want to preserve anything from the past setting you are the "enemy" basically, out to do evil for "bad" reasons. Change it all or you are not welcome is much more of the message.

None of us have been against explaining why things are added. We've said it is trivially easy to do so, and likely not the focus of the chapter. Also, I personally have said that the concern that was originally raised, IE The DMG must have explanations or DMs will ban things from the PHB... is a little overblown, because the people who are going to ban these things are going to do so regardless of anything in the DMG.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I didn't say any of that... add whatever you want. I actually said organic growth is great and can be done in really good ways while still keeping the flavor and uniqueness of the setting that makes it special but that is lame right? The setting sucks anyway, it basically has no history worth noting, unique character or meaning, it's just another lame name wotc can use to sell more to day 1 new customers. It's a lot easier to just not care about "the current" game stuff, and just accept whatever wotc does and call it perfect. That's the cool thing these days and a lot easier.

So... you have no idea what the flavor or integrity of the Greyhawk setting even are? Once confronted with defending your position beyond "I want the same things we had in '83?" you have nothing to say except to start acting like we are bullying you?

See, my problem is that adding things "in a really good way" can mean anything from "I want some explanations that work with the setting" to "No no, nothing you say is good, there is no good way, I'm just saying that so it doesn't seem like I am against any changes what so ever". And I can't tell which you mean until we engage in actual discussion of why it is so difficult to have the things in the PHB in the setting.

Hussar

Legend
It’s not all or nothing, this is more of the absurd absolutes I keep encountering. Lore, the lands, people and places of the world lays the foundation and inspiration, of course it matters. It’s literally the story and reason for the world, it’s what makes it exist, so yeah important. Grand vs local means nothing by itself, that’s trivial, you don’t need any setting for that.
You do realize the irony of complaining about absurd absolutes and then in the next setting talking about how lore is the "story and reason for the world" and how nothing else matters, right?

Lore is important. I agree. But, how that lore is presented is how you get the different feelings of setting because it's all D&D. There is a huge amount of overlap between the settings, simply because they all draw on the same well - the Monster Manual for one. How that lore is presented though is what differentiates Greyhawk from other settings. The lore itself? It's not like there's much actually unique to Greyhawk. Not after decades of being mined by other settings.

I mean, what separates the Free City of Greyhawk from Waterdeep? They are far more similar than different. But, how those differences are presented is the core of the setting.

Remove ads