• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Remathilis

Legend
I mean, I think saying that Greyhawk as it existed until 1988 (when stuff beyond the original and rxpanded Setting started coming) was an "Appendix N" Setting is true, but also meaningless because saying that Gary Gygax' personal list of literary influences were an influence on Gary Gygax's Setting is tautological.
Potentially, but my point was Gary didn't filter Greyhawk into things that supported his S&S vision the same way a setting like Dark Sun or Dragonlance did to support a genre or theme. Gary liked what he liked and incorporated that into the soup that was A/D&D at the time. The very definition of a kitchen sink setting. He kept the Tolkien races and such. The Mythological creatures. He didn't just use S&S stuff and he didn't say "this is fine for other campaigns, but Greyhawk doesn't have X" when it came to the core rules. (His personal game is another matter).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wait, people listen to the radio still?
Not usually, bit a few.months ago I wanted to give my phone a break and turned to FM instead of Spotify in my car. Discovered happily that an old station I used to listen to (Live 105.3 in the SF Bay Area) had come back after a few hears with a lot of their old DJs. Had horror slowly dawn me as I realized they brought it back as a late 90s/early Aughts nostalgia classic rock station.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The adaptations only exist because of the enduring qualities of the original works.

You may like some of the adaptations more than the original works. That's fine.

The original works will still be there for everyone else.

The point still being, that the adaptation can be better. Which you seem to consistently dismiss because the original version must be the best version.

Which is sometimes true, but not always.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads