• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Gold & Other Treasure (Can we get off the treadmill?)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So say, training, donation to churches or the poor, that sort of thing?
You can't just build a bridge to nowhere. You need to interact with merchants to know they have trouble with crossing that spot & maybe get looped into other quests you miggt care about for their ability to provide you the chance to actively look for ways you could spend money

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So say, training, donation to churches or the poor, that sort of thing?
You can't just build a bridge to nowhere. You need to interact with merchants to know they have trouble with crossing that spot & maybe get looped into other quests you miggt care about for their ability to provide you the chance to actively look for ways you could spend money
Exactly. Bribe the guards, bribe the officials, gift or tithe to the churches, support a merchant house, build a temple, build an orphanage, build a castle or keep, etc. You know, interact with the game world beyond just kill things and take their treasure.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Really? If that's the case, I might have to give it a try. Do they touch on the problem of traditional motte-and-bailey castles not actually offering much protection against dragons and wizards?
Obviously there's a genre shift, but the narrative is clearly about a king fighting to protect his domain from his enemies.

thundershot

Adventurer
They absolutely need to have magic items for sale again. Even as an option. Cutting that, IMO, was huge, and I know I and all of my players would love to have it back. It not only gives them something to spend their gold on, but makes It easier to gauge starting equipment on a higher level character.

Remove ads