• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Going to GenCon Indy for the first time

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I'm looking for some help on organising myself to go to GenCon Indy this year, from the UK.

I've got the dates from the website, and obviously my first step is to see if I can get time off from work, but after that... what's the lessons learned from the ENWorld community?

I'd like recommendations for cheap flights, decent hotels in the area (not too far away), places to eat, and also ideas about who else is going and would like to meet up!

General ideas about budgeting would be very handy, in terms of how much to take to spend on food per day.

Oh, and of course if anyone has any information on the Ennies this year (location, day etc) then let me know, as I fully plan to be there.

I'm probably going to arrive a day early and leave a day later, so any recommendations for other stuff to do in Indianapolis would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Dude, we are definitely due to meet. :D

Keep Friday evening free for the ENnies. Wednesday usually finds the early birds running pick up games (I will be) and various pre-Gencon parties will be in full swing (we'll talk). ;) Oh, and read this -

Keeper of Ancient Gen Con Lore

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Allow plenty of time at the other end for arrival, and allow a long, long time in between flights if you have to transfer. The US now does immigration at first point of entry rather than at final destination, and depending where it is can involve lines which take hours - so don't schedule a transfer with less than a couple of hours space at the minimum (we got caught out by that - had an hour between flights, were in the line for 3 hours, totally missed our flight by 2 hours, had to get another 3 hours later and ended up hours late getting to Indy).

Remember to tip in America. It's easy to forget if you're not used to that system. Keep reminding yourself, and don't be afraid to ask people about when it's appropriate to do so and how much. They don't mind explaining it.

Keep ID on you. They check your age all the time, especially with alcohol and the like.

Indy has this thing where you can't buy yourself more than one drink in a bar at once. If asked "Are both of these for you?" don't confusedly answer "yes", explain that one if for you and the other for your friend or whatever. Otherwise they can refuse to serve you. I don't know how often that happens, but it happened to me; easily avoidable, just make sure yougive the right answer to the secret code question. :)

Inferno!

Explorer
Indy has this thing where you can't buy yourself more than one drink in a bar at once. If asked "Are both of these for you?" don't confusedly answer "yes", explain that one if for you and the other for your friend or whatever. Otherwise they can refuse to serve you. I don't know how often that happens, but it happened to me; easily avoidable, just make sure yougive the right answer to the secret code question. :)
Hmm. I've lived in Indy my entire life (41 years) and never encountered that. I'm not saying it didn't happen, it's just I've never heard of that before.

I'm probably going to arrive a day early and leave a day later, so any recommendations for other stuff to do in Indianapolis would also be appreciated.!
Of course it depends upon what you're looking for. There are many museums within walking distance. The Indiana State Museum and Eiteljorg are a block away from the convention center. If you like auto racing, there is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum and Hall of Fame. The Indianapolis Children s Museum is the largest in the world, and it's not just for children.;) There are many others. If you have any specific questions or interests, I'd be glad to offer a local's insights.

pedr

Explorer
Badge registration opens at the end of the month and the housing block request system starts a few days later. Check the forums at community.gencon.com for lots of details and help. You'll probably find most of the close-by hotel rooms are already 'booked' because they're reserved into a city-run system. I've never used it - I've only visited once and I found a room to share with someone from the forums - and it does seem to be something of a lottery. Again, people on the forums can give advice. I did briefly consider going this year and looked for flights+hotel packages on expedia.co.uk and found some rooms in close-by hotels. I was searching for 7-nights accommodation and the ball-park was £1200 including flights. People on the forums suggest that connected/down-town hotel rooms start from about $160 a night in the block.

nerfherder

Explorer
2007 I flew from Manchester for £587 with Delta. 2008 I flew from Newcastle (via Schipol) for £710 with American Airlines (I think the booking may have been with KLM, using AA as a partner). I haven't looked at prices yet for this year.

For accommodation, I shared with online friends at the Embassy Suites. This made it cheaper, but more importantly, meant I was surrounded by great people 24/7 who wanted to game, have dinner, party, go to the ENnies, etc.

I filled up my schedule with games organised on EN World and Circvs Maximvs. Not one was a "dud".

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Thanks for all the responses!

The first part of the plan came together today - I successfully booked the time off work. :) I'm also putting money aside each month to help pay for all this, although judging by some of those estimates I may need to put a bit more.

I've booked the 3rd to the 10th August off work, giving me a clear day each side of the Con. I'm also really aware of US Immigration laws, but thanks for the tip, Morrus!

I'll get myself registered on the GenCon forums (and I'll even use the same name so people can find me if they want) but my next question then is this:

Anyone want to share rooms?

Inferno!, thanks for the advice. Not that big a motoring fan, but I might check out the Children's Museum. Failing that, I might just wander around and find somewhere to sit and read the new books I'll no doubt end up buying. :)

Mark - see you at the Ennies, then! And parties sound good. Oh yes. Particularly GenCon parties. I will be bringing a digital camera, though... you have been warned!

I'll take a look at that link, too.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
2007 I flew from Manchester for £587 with Delta. 2008 I flew from Newcastle (via Schipol) for £710 with American Airlines (I think the booking may have been with KLM, using AA as a partner). I haven't looked at prices yet for this year.

Just found a flight for £625 from Heathrow to Indianapolis, 1 stop. Not bad.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Anyone want to share rooms?

Possibly. I won't know for a couple of weeks.

Mark - see you at the Ennies, then! And parties sound good. Oh yes. Particularly GenCon parties. I will be bringing a digital camera, though... you have been warned!

Fair enough. I take a lot of photos myself but wind up in very few because of it. Here are some from last year -

Picasa Web Albums - CreativeMountain - 2009 Gencon Indy

And the year before -

Picasa Web Albums - CreativeMountain - 2008 Gencon P...

Be in touch.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads