ghost's horrific appearance ability...

eXodus

Explorer
1. is this a little overpowered? losing 1d4 strength, dexterity, and constitution seems a little harsh for a template that only adds a +2 cr. has anyone else ran into this?

2. it states that if one makes their fort save they are immune to the power for one day from this particular ghost. if you failed and lost abilities, does that mean that you could be subject to this ability again the next round?

i am asking this as the game i am running ran into a couple of ghosts tonight. when we left off, they had turned the one who had horrific appearance but not before it hit four of the six characters with an average of 7 ability points in damage.

novyet

First Post
1. It can be sometimes, it is permanent drain so it sucks majorly to be hit with it. :eek: I don't know if it's under CR'd though.

2. As far as I know, yes. Until you make a save you are still vulnerable to it's appearance.

hong

WotC's bitch
The horrific appearance isn't quite as bad as might be thought. The character has to see the ghost to be affected, so they can close or avert their eyes. It's like a gaze attack, except the ghost can't choose to target someone.

(The question of how you attack a silent, incorporeal ghost with your eyes closed is something for another day. :))

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Honestly, the Ghost CR should be based on which special abilities you choose. It is certainly easy to make a fairly harmless ghost if you pick the right ones.

One thing to keep in mind about "permanent" ability drain: a Restoration spell still brings it all back (just one stat at a time). So it's not all THAT bad ;) Just gotta save up your diamond dust!

Remove ads