• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FreeCountry (Free DnD Mapper)

TogaMario

First Post
This is made in C# with DirectX, which means that it will be Windows-Only, and there's little to nothing I can do about that since it's in using Microsoft's .NET Framework. When it's done, users will have to have the .NET 2.0 Framework and the latest DirectX downloaded/installed from Microsoft's site. The installation of DirectX from games will not work, as this will not install the required Managed DirectX files.

The functionality is limited only by your graphics card support / RAM (as far as I can tell). I've had it generate a 50 x 50 inch map and save out as TGA, PNG and JPG (though more formats may be supported). It loads all tiles in any folder it finds within it's Media folder. So you can drop your own tiles in a folder called "Stuff" and expect to find a "[--- Stuff ---]" category listing in your tile list. The tiles can be in PNG, TGA, BMP and JPG formats (maybe more later), with full alpha support. You can precision paint, or "scatter" for a quick / random layout while you paint. The option for using tokens will come soon, this way you can move around the objects that need to be less permenant :) like tables, chairs, etc and this also gives the ability to scale / rotate them.

I'll add more info as I get things working.

Updated (12-12-06) - Download the Beta

freecountry.jpg

Last edited:

TogaMario

First Post
Thanks Frukathka!

Is there anything in other mapping software that you guys see as a "must-have"? I could use all the suggestions I can get right now :) I'm almost done with the free-form paint side of the program. All that's left is to scaling options, override rotations, scatter distance, and grid snapping for stuff like flooring. I'm starting on the token stuff tonight, so hopefully it won't be long before I have something to test! Image above updated.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
The only thing I can think of at the moment is water tiles and wbridge tiles for speanning waterways and chasms. Ah, another feature that would be cool is a toggle between gridded and non-gridded maps.

TogaMario

First Post
Already got the toggle :) And thanks for reminding me! The water tiles would be what I'm currently missing (as far as a sampler tile pack goes)

TogaMario

First Post
I'm hoping to try and make it a necessity for the DM who wants great results without too much effort. The best way I could think to do that is to make what I think it should be (and would want), release it to the critics (you guys :D) and take/add the suggestions / fix bugs till it's something that you just can't do without. Almost done adding the final free-paint options (exciting!) I'll update the pic tomorrow.

heruca

Explorer
Looks very promising.

Btw, TogaMario, you might want to change the first link in your sig, since you removed the RPGui listing from your homepage.

TogaMario

First Post
Thanks for the support Ferghis :D I enjoy doing stuff if I think it'll be helpful.

Thanks for the heads-up heruca, I forgot I had removed it. It's current state was not something that was stable enough for release, so It may remake it in c# to iron out the problems I was having (and that I'm sure everyone else would probably have too).

Remove ads