Forsaker and Magic destruction

kreynolds

First Post
Macbrea said:
Is it a kind of action or requirement to break the weapon or is it just impossible for a forsaker to ever break a weapon?

You can't damage a magic weapon unless your weapon is of equal or greater enhancement (unless you have a funky weapon like Shatterspike from The Sunless Citadel). So, the only way a Forsaker could destroy a magical weapon is if his hands were of equal or greater enhancement. By the rules, DR does not grant you this enhancement, and Natural Weapons (Ex) only helps you overcome another creature's DR.

He can still break any magic item with a break DC though, like wands and staffs and such.

Last edited:

Macbrea

First Post
The way that reads is that any weapon he has can bypass the damage resistance of creatures with Damage resistance. It doesn't give him an "ENHANCEMENT" bonus required to break a weapon or shield.

kreynolds

First Post
Macbrea said:
The way that reads is that any weapon he has can bypass the damage resistance of creatures with Damage resistance. It doesn't give him an "ENHANCEMENT" bonus required to break a weapon or shield.

That's what I said. Or were you talkin' to someone else?

Magic Rub

First Post
kreynolds said:
I think you typed up a circular reference here with nothing to reference to, or I'm just missing it. What "does apply"?

This.

Macbrea said:
Now everyone can see where my pit fiend question from earlier came from. It would be a house rule to allow a Forsaker or a Pit Fiend to actually break a weapon with its hands. Even though the pit fiend actually gets sunder as a feat.

What I should have said is that a forsaker can use a weapon & apply the natural weapon bonus he gains to that weapon in place of using his hands to break a magic weapon or shield.

you ever type a word so much that it loses all meaning. Weapon weapon weapon :)

Macbrea

First Post
Sorry, we posted at the same time in relation to Magic rubs post.

What I wanted was the write-up on what magic destruction says for forsaken. I am currently at work. I will just look at it when I get home to figure out what it says exactly. I have a feelling they don't actually have to break items. But may hold them in their hands and declare them destroyed shattering them. But I will check to make sure.

Magic Rub

First Post
kreynolds said:

You can't damage a magic weapon unless your weapon is of equal or greater enhancement (unless you have a funky weapon like Shatterspike from The Sunless Citadel). So, the only way a Forsaker could destroy a magical weapon is if his hands were of equal or greater enhancement. By the rules, DR does not grant you this enhancement, and Natural Weapons (Ex) only helps you overcome another creature's DR.

He can still break any magic item with a break DC though, like wands and staffs and such.

Oops! Ya your right, I just finnished reading that. Heh heh heh I'm an A$$.

Sorry for the goose chase

kreynolds

First Post
Magic Rub said:
Oops! Ya your right, I just finnished reading that. Heh heh heh I'm an A$$.

Sorry for the goose chase

EDIT: Removed reitteration of one of my previous posts.

Oops! I'm a bigger A$$! I just now noticed your post. Doh! :)

Magic Rub said:
you ever type a word so much that it loses all meaning. Weapon weapon weapon :)

Yup. DR is beginning to lose all meaning for me too. :D

Last edited:

FANGO

First Post
It seems that a lot of people have a problem with this rule. In my group, where there is a forsaker in one of our campaigns, we simply removed the magic destruction ability and made it so that the forsaker had to somehow "sacrifice" a particular amount of personal wealth every week (a day is too short, we thought) in order to keep his DR. It doesn't seem to be unbalancing yet, but we just made the rule so we'll have to see how it goes.

However, if you're intent on keeping it in there (which is perfectly reasonable, don't get me wrong), there are a few things you can do about it, I think, to make the adjudication easier. First of all, an idea that the forsaker in our group had before we changed the magic destruction ability was to carry around potions in small vials (the vials would be dusted with lead, too, so that he wouldn't be subject to a detect magic spell, because he didn't like the idea of having to carry around magic to be effective but that's pretty much the only way it works with the rules as written), and then before the big battle of the day he would throw the vial down to the ground, breaking it and ruining the potion. We ruled this would be a move-equivalent action, since it should take less time than drinking a potion (standard action) but doesn't seem quite right for a free action. There were also ideas with lead scroll cases with some sort of blade inside that was attached to a trigger that would cut the scroll or something, but that idea wasn't developed enough before we changed the rules. So, if you don't have a problem with your forsaker, then you can try those ideas.

Also, I would probably rule that if a forsaker wanted to destroy magic, even if they didn't have the DR at the moment, it would be okay to treat his hands (or weapon) as +x weapons for the purpose of destroying magic items...after all, "magic destruction" is an ability, so it should let them be slightly better at it than most people, somehow. Either that or I would make them spend a standard or full-round action to "destroy" a magic item, amybe the magic item would get some sort of save or something, but they would have a good chance of succeeding as long as it wasn't something really important (like an artifact or something, obviously).

Remove ads