• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Force damage in one dnd

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
They should replace "Force" with "Ethereal" as a type of magic damage since traditionally such spells are rare and called out as affecting ghosts and creatures with an Ethereal presence.
Physical attacks are magical or not--this is a binary flag.
There is no advantage to unifiying the two.
Yeah, that is helpful. Call the damage type "Ethereal".

There are reallife medieval traditions that define the "fifth element" "ether" as an immaterial "force" − what holds the planets in orbit.

But in a D&D context, to simply refer to the damage type as "Ethereal" makes everything clear.

Then conjurations and things made out of magical energy are "ether constructs", where ether is the fifth elemental plane.

Meanwhile, telekinesis and gravity are the manipulation of ether.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Impact damage is what bludgeoning damage is. I think everyone is right here in that force damage is destructive ethereal damage. I didn't like the 2024 move before, but I kind of do after this discussion. It defines what "magic" damage IS without just calling it "magic" damage. They ought to put a sidebar explaining it!

Impact damage is what bludgeoning damage is. I think everyone is right here in that force damage is destructive ethereal damage. I didn't like the 2024 move before, but I kind of do after this discussion. It defines what "magic" damage IS without just calling it "magic" damage. They ought to put a sidebar explaining it!
Should Force be explained more than they do?

Force. Force is pure magical energy focused into a damaging form. Most effects that deal force damage are spells, including magic missile and spiritual weapon.

FitzTheRuke

Legend

Force. Force is pure magical energy focused into a damaging form. Most effects that deal force damage are spells, including magic missile and spiritual weapon.
I think it seems likely that it should be, based on this discussion alone. The explanation above does the basics of the job, but it's clear that people see the word "force" and imagine something different than what it is.

Stalker0

Legend

the question though is, why isn't that BPS type damage? What if the difference between a bigby's punch doing force damage and my punch doing bludgeoning damage?

Energy damage make sense, we generally know what those look like (I know how extreme fire or cold can damage things, I know what electricity can do, etc). But what is force "doing" that makes it non-physical?

Remove ads