• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

fly and movement

themightygeckoe

First Post
Can you double your movement while under the effects of a fly spell. The rule states that movement is 40ft and that they can charge but not run. I read the rule that max movement is 40 ft. and that they cannot double, triple, or quadruple it. Basically, can they fly and move further than 40 ft? ON a side note, can you stack fly with haste to add an additional 30ft. of movement?

IMHO the Fly spell provides a flat motive power of a given distance per move action. Since the movement is not physical, exertions such as charging or running is not possible. The character simply floats serenly to his or her destination at a fixed rate of speed.

This means spells that boost the distance for movement speeds do not affect a Mage under the effects of 'Fly'

However, they can use the spells power for each Move action available, so under the right circumstances it mightbe possible to move massive distances in one round...

Dheran

First Post
themightygeckoe said:
Can you double your movement while under the effects of a fly spell. The rule states that movement is 40ft and that they can charge but not run. I read the rule that max movement is 40 ft. and that they cannot double, triple, or quadruple it. Basically, can they fly and move further than 40 ft?
By "doubling" do you mean take two move actions in a round? The answer to that is: yes, of course. But remember the base movement for Fly is 60', not 40' (unless encumbered).
themightygeckoe said:
ON a side note, can you stack fly with haste to add an additional 30ft. of movement?
Yes. Fly gives you a base fly speed of 60', and Haste adds an enhancement bonus of 30' to whatever speed(s) you have. So with Fly plus Haste you would fly a maximum of 90' per move action, or 180' per round (a double move).

Dheran said:
Yes. Fly gives you a base fly speed of 60', and Haste adds an enhancement bonus of 30' to whatever speed(s) you have. So with Fly plus Haste you would fly a maximum of 90' per move action, or 180' per round (a double move).

I am not so sure,

"The subject can fly at a speed of 60 feet (or 40 feet if it wears medium or heavy armor, or if it carries a medium or heavy load)." probably could have been written as "The subject gains a Fly speed of 60 feet with average manueverability.".... but it wasn't.

Hence my reading that a Haste effect does not increase the flat motive power provided by the Fly spell.

From the SRD, under the Monsters > Special Abilities heading:

A creature can use the run action while flying, provided it flies in a straight line.

Whether or not that applies to any flying creatures (i.e., including characters using the fly spell), I guess, is debatable. But I allow it and point to this particular reference for support.

green slime

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
From the SRD, under the Monsters > Special Abilities heading:

A creature can use the run action while flying, provided it flies in a straight line.

Whether or not that applies to any flying creatures (i.e., including characters using the fly spell), I guess, is debatable. But I allow it and point to this particular reference for support.

Not debatable really, when the spell in question distinctly says, that you can't use the run action.

GorTeX

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
..."The subject can fly at a speed of 60 feet (or 40 feet if it wears medium or heavy armor, or if it carries a medium or heavy load)." probably could have been written as "The subject gains a Fly speed of 60 feet with average manueverability.".... but it wasn't.

actually, the spell gives you Good Manueverbility, not average.

The spell doesn't give you manueverablity of any kind... but it provides the text limitation that are similar in effect...

I didn't check which manueverablity class lined up best.. just being lazy :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads