• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flame Enhancement and heat output

Tetsubo

First Post
How much heat does the Flame weapon enhancement produce? Could you, for example, use that heat alone as a survival tool? I can see several advantages to it over an actual fire: no smoke and it consumes no fuel. Does it consume oxygen?

I can just see some fighter heating his dinner over his +1 Flaming Axe...

shilsen

Adventurer
This is something that would be completely and utterly up to DM adjudication, because the weapon description doesn't say. Does it produce heat? If the DM says so. Does it consume oxygen? If the DM says so.

mvincent

Explorer
shilsen said:
up to DM adjudication
Agreed. However, flaming weapons certainly produce flames and can burn things, so it seems a pretty safe bet that they can cook food, and very likely that the flames can consume oxygen.

Mind you, a flaming weapon underwater wouldn't consume oxygen... but I reckon the flame wouldn't be as pronounced either.

shilsen

Adventurer
mvincent said:
Agreed. However, flaming weapons certainly produce flames and can burn things, so it seems a pretty safe bet that they can cook food, and very likely that the flames can consume oxygen.

Mind you, a flaming weapon underwater wouldn't consume oxygen... but I reckon the flame wouldn't be as pronounced either.
Considering that a flaming weapon would have the same effects underwater, I'd say that it doesn't consume oxygen. But that only becomes a factor if oxygen exists in your game. Physics is a house rule.

mvincent

Explorer
shilsen said:
Considering that a flaming weapon would have the same effects underwater, I'd say that it doesn't consume oxygen.
I already knew that a flaming weapon (or even a fireball) can still do damage underwater... that's why I brought it up. I just wouldn't say it has the same effect. As mentioned, I don't think it'd have the same, wispy flame that it normally has out of water. Nor would they set things alight.

In real life, some things (like magnesium) can burn in water, but they still use up oxygen if burned on land (and they have more of a wispy flame, even though the relative heat at the core would be similar). I believe open flames always consume oxygen, even if the original source does not require it to burn.

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
mvincent said:
In real life, some things (like magnesium) can burn in water, but they still use up oxygen if burned on land (and they have more of a wispy flame, even though the relative heat at the core would be similar). I believe open flames always consume oxygen, even if the original source does not require it to burn.

Things burning underwater, such as Thermite, tend to do so because they have their own oxygen supply with them (Thermite consisting of Aluminium & Iron Oxide (rust!)).

"Also, magnesium strips do not contain their own source of oxygen so combustion cannot occur unless the magnesium strips are exposed to air."

see:
Thermite

Just thought you might be interested :-D

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Don't want to join the oxygen talks since as Shilsen already said, physics is a houserule. But the idea of fighter cooking his dinner on flaming axe brought up another idea. Rogue making shish kabobs with flaming rapier :D

moritheil

First Post
Tetsubo said:
How much heat does the Flame weapon enhancement produce? Could you, for example, use that heat alone as a survival tool? I can see several advantages to it over an actual fire: no smoke and it consumes no fuel. Does it consume oxygen?

I can just see some fighter heating his dinner over his +1 Flaming Axe...

Chemistry is totally different in the DnD world; oxygen does not exist (there are only a few elements - the classical ones.) So it's a matter of DM fiat.

mvincent

Explorer
green slime said:
Things burning underwater, such as Thermite, tend to do so because they have their own oxygen supply with them
Yes... my point though is that if burned outside of water (say in a small, enclosed, airtight room) they will also consume oxygen other than their own.

For those that want to cook inside their portable hole though, there's a simple work-around: leave the weapon inside a metal sheath (i.e. it creates a hot-plate rather than a cook-fire).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads